This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

I have wanted to go to Winthrop since the 8th grade. So badly in fact, that I suicide applied to Winthrop and was ecstatic when I got in. Since attending though, and this is my third year at Winthrop, I have learned to love the little things about this campus, that they don’t tell you on tours or in admissions events.

Therapy dogs

This is something that started last school year, and it is one of my favorite things. Every other Wednesday during common time, which I will explain later what this time is later, they invite volunteers to bring their therapy dogs to sit for an hour or so for you to just pet them for free. The volunteers who also bring their dogs are also lovely and willing to chat about anything. There is all sorts of dogs from small to big, Seeing these adorable little buddies and getting to pet and cuddle them makes a long Wednesday easier and gives you something in Diggs (the student center) to look forward to.

Common Time

Common time is an hour and a half every Tuesday and Thursday when there are no classes. The purpose of this is to give students a guaranteed break throughout the week, and where clubs can meet up or table. This is also when the involvement fair happens, where all the organizations on campus meet up and table to show off their club and potentially get new members. This is a great time to hammock in a hammock stand around campus or set up and chill to get some homework done. A lot of teachers have their office hours during this time as well, so you can meet with them during this time. 

The entirety of DSU

DSU, or the Digoirio (Diggs) Student Union, is a group of faculty and students who put on all the events that happen on campus and all I have to say is: THEY ARE AMAZING. They host different events like movie nights, silent discos, concerts, and so much more. My personal favorite is the Fun Stuffed event they do every year, where for a few dollars you can make your own stuffed animal like build a bear. Now, disclaimer, you do have to pay to go to a few of these events, but they are usually $7 or lower and all the money goes straight to DSU to host more events, so it is a win-win. These are memorable events that make Winthrop a fun place to be.

Basketball

To put it frankly, our men’s basketball team is amazing. We have made it to the Big South National Championship, our school Superbowl equivalent, in the past couple of years and have won quite a few. These games are very hyped as we do not have a football team, yet we tailgate before basketball games like its football. They give tons of freebies at these games, mainly shirts, and we have different themes as well. These games are so fun to go to, and the student section gets hyped. It is also a huge perk that Winthrop students get into all Winthrop games for free, for all the sports. Basketball is something that I truly look forward to each year.

Winthrop can get pretty *Spooky*

One of my favorite yearly events is the Haunted tour of Tillman, where they take the haunted Tillman building and turn it into a giant haunted house. You even get to go onto the haunted fourth floor👀. The ghost tours are also a way for students to get involved, as all of the actors are student volunteers. Tillman is also featured in the 2008 horror movie Asylum, which is entirely filmed at Winthrop. This movie is like the Sharknado series, so bad it’s amazing. Tillman isn’t the only building on campus that is haunted from the past, and it s fun to hear the ghost stories around campus. If you dare come to Winthrop, you can hear many more cool stories!

Breanna Gayle is a senior Special Education major here at Winthrop as well as an exec member for Chi Omega and Circle of Sisterhood!! She is also a member of the Council for Exceptional Children. She can usually be seen hanging around campus with friends or getting an iced coffee. She is very excited and honored to be a part of the Her Campus crew!!