This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Mitch Hill didn’t even know what was going to happen.

“Coach Kelsey brought the five starters back into the locker room and drew up a play. Nobody knew what was going to happen,” said the sophomore forward. As it turned out, it was a lob play for sophomore star Xavier Cooks (17 points), who slammed it through as the crowd went wild.

The players seemed to know that they were performing for a national television audience (ESPNU) this past Thursday. In the first nationally televised home basketball game since 2008 (against a guy named Stephen Curry and his Davidson Wildcats), the Eagles did not disappoint.

The game was back and forth early, but a two handed baseline slam (on two defenders) by junior forward Josh Davenport ignited the crowd and set the tone for the rest of the game. The play made SportsCenter’s Top 10 (#4).

photo courtesy of Winthrop University Men’s Basketball YouTube

Graduate transfer Jimmy Gavin had a phenomenal performance, hitting 6 three pointers and scoring 29 points, eviscerating the High Point defense.

Duby Okeke also had a standout game, with 6 points (including a dunk on HPU star John Brown that also made SC Top 10 (at #10)), 9 rebounds, and 6 blocks, anchoring a defense that allowed just 66 points on 34 percent shooting.

Star guard Keon Johnson, a junior, poured in 21 points on a variety of highlight moves that delighted the crowd.

Our Eagles seem to be rounding into form at just the right time. Remember, all games are free to students, so come out and support!

Winthrop University Sophomore Javelin Thrower Field of Interest: Sports You can find me on Instagram at @thatboy_pres
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.