This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

If you’re reading this headline right now, you’re probably thinking one of two things. One: Hell yes, I love Harry Styles GO 20GAYTEEN! Or Two: Oh my God nobody cares.

If you’re the latter, walk with me…

1. If you go to one of Harry’s concerts, you’ll get to witness THE WHALE. 

If you don’t know anything about Harry, you probably have no idea what I’m talking about. “The whale” is a phrase fans came up with back in the good old 1D days (*sigh*). Harry would gulp some water, get down on his knees, and dramatically spit it out. He continued this during his first solo tours in 2017 & this year! There was even a trending hashtag on Twitter during the summer of fans doing their own “whale challenge”. Harry’s impact.

2. You’ll more than likely get to see an amazing opening act. 

Admit it. You’ve been to a concert where you either were on your phone during the opening act or you didn’t get to the concert until after the opening act. Well for Harry’s concerts, you better put your phone down and get there early Collegiettes! Over the past two tours, Harry has welcomed very diverse opening acts such as MUNA, Kacey Musgraves, and Mabel. I wasn’t excited about seeing Kacey at my concert and now I listen to album on repeat like no joke. And I hate country music.

3. HIS MUSIC IS FANTASTIC! (Totally not saying that in a biased way…)

Since this was Harry’s first solo tour/album, fans really had no idea what to expect from him. When his first single, “Sign of The Times”, released in April of last year—it was over for us. His debut album was a mix of soft rock, country (HA! Not really but “Two Ghosts” and “Carolina” could literally be considered country songs), Britpop, and regular rock. It’s very different from mainstream pop and it reminds me of classic rock from the 70s/80s. Not shaming modern day music, but it was very brave of Harry to go this route. He made the music he wanted, knowing it might not do well because it wasn’t mainstream. 

4. You’ll get to jam out to old 1D bops.

We all know 1D went on hiatus (aka died) in 2015. Literally everyone knows. Luckily, Harry still loves his boys and the music. For the past two solo tours, Harry has sung iconic 1D songs like “What Makes You Beautiful”, “Story of My Life”, “If I Could Fly”, and “Stockholm Syndrome”. If you missed seeing 1D live, at least you still have 1/5 singing “What Makes You Beautiful”. Better than nothing, I guess.

5. You’ll get to wear your best clothes.

Obviously, you can wear your best clothes at any concert. For Harry’s concerts, us fans take the “hope you’re wearing your best clothes” line from “Sign of The Times” a little TOO seriously. It’s literally a damn Met Gala. Harry’s known for being a Gucci God. No, seriously. There’s an actual headline in Vogue that says, “Harry Styles Looks Like a Glam Rock God in Gucci”! In all seriousness, he’s a great fashion influence on his fans. He doesn’t care about what people think and he owns it. For my Harry concert, I wore a sparkly jumpsuit. I’ve never in my life worn a sparkly jumpsuit—especially not to a concert. Thanks for giving me the confidence to do that Harry :) 

6. You may get to talk to him! (Especially if you’re LGBTQ+, pregnant, or a hot guy…I’m not kidding)

Around half way into the show, Harry will take a break from singing and talk to the audience. He’s called out so many pregnant ladies, couples, has read people’s signs, and even tried helping a girl find a girlfriend in the audience! And if you’re one of those people that sit during concerts, he’ll literally spot you in your Section 109 row 19 seat 5 and tell you to get your “sweet a** out of that chair”. Yes, he actually said that one time. 

7. He puts on a damn good show.

I don’t know what your definition of good show is, but mine is when I can forget about everything for a little bit. It’s when I can dance and not feel judged. It’s when the lower half of my body hurts like hell but I refuse to sit down. It’s when I don’t even care about being on my phone. That’s what Harry’s concerts can do to you! Harry’s a charmer. He knows how to get an audience on their feet, he’s hilarious, and his music is just great. My 58-year-old mom even went and she had the time of her life. 

8. Harry’s hilarious.

He may overdo it with the dad jokes, but this man is FUNNY. You pretty much pay for a comedy show & concert in one.

9. You’ll get quality merch and ALL of the proceeds go to charity!

Harry’s no stranger when it comes to giving to charity and it’s no shock that he’d give his own proceeds to multiple charities. He’s a literal angel on earth, I’m telling you. As for his merch, you’ll get various T-shirts (that will look super vintage one day) as well as hair ties, posters, sweaters, “dad” hats, and hoodies. If you’re thinking about getting some merch while you’re reading this, you can go to Harry’s website here: https://hstyles.co.uk!

10. These concerts are full of nothing but love.

Harry promotes nothing but love and equality. He’ll make sure everyone in the building knows that they are loved and valid. He’ll remind everyone that he’s so thankful for them and that he loves them so much throughout the show. He doesn’t care about the color of your skin, your background, the person you’re attracted to, your age, what you’re wearing—he just loves YOU. He won’t allow you to ever feel alone or unloved. 

Unfortunately, Harry’s OFF tour now… but that’s okay. I just wanted to talk about him. He’ll be on break until he decides to write his next Grammy-winning album! So now y’all have no excuse but to go see him the next time he comes around! See ya there, Collegiettes! 

Elise Rowland

Winthrop '19

Elise Rowland is currently a senior Mass Communications major (with a Photography minor) at Winthrop University. She is from Spartanburg, SC. Her favorite things to do are drawing, making/editing films and videos, & of course binge-watching Youtube and Netflix. Shocker. She dreams of working in the film or photography industry one day. Fun Fact: she was an background extra in a film called American Animals that starred Evan Peters. She is new at Her Campus; cut her some slack she has no idea what she's doing hahaha. Follow her on Instagram (@maryyelisee) to see some quality content ! (lol not really)
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.