Why the Twisted Sisters are the best friendship to ever exist in Grey’s Anatomy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Grey’s Anatomy has been on for over 15 years, many of us were just little kids watching the early seasons with our moms but their were so many lessons that we didn’t know we were learning then. Meredith Grey and Christiana Yang showed us the best friendship on television and I want to dive into it.

The two women started out in season 1 seeing each others as the competition but they couldn’t hate each other. They gain this special type of love for each other and have shown to be soulmates over the years even in 2022. In our very first episode we see their relationship blossom, they have this beautiful blend of professional and personal. Christian is being Mer’s person she help her dissect her night with Derek but they also work to solve the patient Katie case. In those moments we saw how they would be each other “person”.

In season 2 we experience the next big moment for our to lovebirds, when Christiana asked Meredith to be her emergency contact and the person who would be there for her at the abortion appointment. To be asked that it showed how close and committed they were to their friendship. They even shared a hug from the moment and that was indeed not like them.

Season 3 is when Christiana and Burke got engage and Meredith drowned. Christiana kept pushing for her life to be saved when everyone else was starting to give up. She would not let go and it worked because with her push they were able to save her life and when she finally woke up Christiana yelled to Mer that she was engaged and that she was the one person she wanted to tell. And when Burked abandoned her at the alter Meredith was there for her and ensured her it would be for the long run.

There are so many more times we see that they have a undeniable special friendship such as in season 8 when there was the plane crash that left them stranded and for the dead, Christiana wanted Meredith to be able to keep it together so they could survive despite their circumstances and ensured her that even if she was not Mer person that she was still hers. The friendship was essential for the two women they had a healthy co-dependency that still even exists in some way after Yangs departure from the show. We see that they check on each other constantly and do not hesitate to get information through others on one and other. We see messages between the two showing that they wanted their friendship to survive. And then in season 16 we see how involve Christiana still is in Meredith love life when she has Cormac Hayes transfer to Grey Sloan as an attempt to begin a romantic relationship with Meredith and we even see little text messages between the women with Christiana referring to him as a gift she had sent.

So regardless of what anyone thinks these two have shown us what a real friendship looks like. From being there through every up and down, to getting jealous when old friends from the past pop up, and being so sync that they gain the name of the twisted sisters and lets not forget all the dance outs when they were needed.

Jasmine Creech

Winthrop '25

Lets laugh cry, and celebrate our lives together :)