Why I’m Not Seriously Dating in College

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Before I came to college, I was dead set on getting my MRS degree and finding the guy I truly love. I told myself that college guys are different than high school guys. I thought that they were more mature, smarter, and more responsible, so therefore I was 100% certain that I would find my future husband during my undergraduate studies.

A year into college, I quickly realized that not all college guys are mature, smarter and more responsible. A lot of them are actually the complete opposite. It wasn’t until my first frat party that my dream was completely crushed because a guy came up to me and asked me to “hang out” with him. I’m not getting into any details, but all I’m saying is that I wasn’t treated very nicely. Now don’t get me wrong, a lot of girls do find their future spouse during their college years and that’s amazing and exciting, but for me, I am just an unlucky duckling who keeps getting placed with the wrong men.

During my first couple of years of college, I had a few small relationships – nothing serious because I had accepted the fact that I wouldn’t find Mr. Right at 19 years old. It was fun to meet and date different people, I mean hey it’s college right? This is your chance to learn what you like and don’t like.

Even though I had these small relationships, I was secretly still hoping that one of them would be Mr. Right. After being hurt over and over again, I made a promise to myself that I would stop looking for the right guy, and just let whatever happens happen with my love life.

I’ve been told over and over again: “he will come when you least expect it.” After finally telling myself that after years of looking and being let down, I’ve fully accepted the fact that a man should not be my sole priority right now.

I’m not seriously dating in college because I am a college junior who has plans in her life that need to get accomplished before adding a guy into the picture. In my opinion, a woman should focus on herself first and love herself first before she loves somebody else.

I haven’t had a serious relationship in 4 years. Part of me might be scared to fall back in love and get really hurt again, but the other part of me is waiting patiently for that man to enter my life because I’ve fully accepted the fact that he might not show up while I’m in college. I am actually completely okay with that fact because I have plenty to keep my focus and attention while I do wait for him.

I’m not seriously dating in college because I want to experience the world by myself after graduation before I add someone else to the picture. I want to know that I am able to be by myself in the real world and would be able to really take care of myself. I guess that that’s the independent part in me speaking, but I just want to be sure I’ve lived my life as a single woman before I settle down and get married and start a family. Once you get married, you’re with that person for the rest of your life and I want to enjoy my single years while I can.

I’m not seriously dating in college because I want to make sure I find the right guy. Like I said, a lot of girls my age find the person that they want to be with during their time at a 4-year college and that’s great, but I personally want to wait until I know for sure whom I want to be with. Once you graduate college, a lot of people grow and change. What I want in a guy now might be different from what I want in a guy 3 years from now.

I came into college trying to find my future husband, but instead I found myself. Until the right time comes, I’ll be patiently waiting with a glass of wine in my hand and my girlfriends by my side. I know that he’s out there somewhere, but all I need right now is to focus on my career and maybe a couple of pieces of pizza.

Follow Catherine on Instagram and Twitter

Catherine is an ambitious twenty-something woman living in Rock Hill, South Carolina where she attends Winthrop University as a mass communication major. She is the President and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Winthrop, which she co-founded in November 2014. She has also been a member of the Winthrop chapter of the Association for Women in Communications, and is currently the President of the Society of Professional Journalists chapter at Winthrop. Since being involved with Her Campus, Catherine received an internship at Her Campus Media in Boston, MA. She also currently works as a Chapter Advisor for the company and writes about Grey's Anatomy each week for the site. Because of Her Campus, she has also received writing positions at many publications throughout her 3 years at Winthrop. Outside of her busy lifestyle, Catherine enjoys relaxing with her friends on the weekends and having Sex and the City marathons. She can't live without her dog, family, Cosmopolitan, friends, Starbucks, Instagram, The Bachelor, Grey's Anatomy and of course Chick-fil-A. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: @cathclowe!