This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

For me, it began with a cactus I named Quentin. Little did I know it would turn into an addiction as well as a way of life.

Over time, my plant collection was expanding as the weeks of quarantine went by. I became obsessed with watching my cactus grow and taking care of it. In time, I have developed an awareness for just how important plants are in making the world a better place.

I currently own fifteen plants, twelve of which I have managed to keep in my dorm room. I devote a good bit of my time taking care of my plants because it helps to remind me, I need to be kind and take care of myself as well. The love of houseplants has a lot to do with the self-care and wellness movements. One of my favorite things to see is new growth in my plants. It is a very refreshing feeling to know the plants you own are thriving.

Recently, I took my roommate plant shopping with me because she wanted a plant. We went and let me just say I am a terrible influence, so she ended up buying a few. Oops! She referred to feeling like she had just bought a dog and honestly its true. I mean yes, plants and dogs are completely different but the thrill you get afterwards is gratifying.

I love how they look in my dorm room too! They bring life, color, and character into the small space, as well as cleaner air. Through the process of photosynthesis, plants convert carbon dioxide into clean oxygen as well as removes toxins that may be found in the air. According to Bill Wolverton, the NASA scientist who conducted plant research stated that two good-sized plants for every 100 square feet will keep the air purified and clean. Some plants such as the Golden Pothos and the English Ivy have better purifying skills than others, both of which are very easy to find. As a result of keeping my plants close, I have not been sick in 2 years at least and I like to give credit to my plants for being able to say that.

Plants are a vital resource that we have access to. We rely on plants for food, water, medicine, cleaner air, climate, and habitat. Eleanor Clark, a conservation volunteer for Woodland Trust, talked about the importance plants have on people’s wellbeing’s. She mentions the benefits of having access to nature. These benefits include: an increase in physical health, mental wellbeing, and better quality of life. She goes on to state that exercise in nature and green spaces can reduce stress and anxiety, improve self-esteem and mood.

Personally, I have first-handedly felt those benefits. I have taken a huge interest in learning about all things plant related and because of this, I have become plant obsessed. Once you really take an interest in learning more and gaining a better appreciation for mother nature’s beautiful creations, you too will understand where I’m coming from. I have made friends purely just from talking to them about plants. I promise I’m not crazy, well, maybe a little, but the point is that plant obsession is a real thing. Plant culture is becoming more and more common among millennials and Gen-Z. Once you become a proud plant parent, you enter an entire community of plant lover’s and plant enthusiasts.

Emily Weiland

Winthrop '24

Hey! My name is Emily Weiland and I am a sophomore Business Administration major.