This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

It’s already that time of year when most people are getting their pumpkin spice lattes, apple cider, sweaters, Halloween costumes and parties, and Thanksgiving plans. There are plenty of things to do to get ready and stay ready for the fall season such as curling up with a blanket or, if you’re like me, with a heated blanket. The chilly weather season is here and so are the songs that will help you transition from the summer season into the autumn season. There are the classics from Bobby Picket’s “Monster Mash” to Michael Jacksons “Thriller” in addition to
modern songs from Taylor Swift’s “Cardigan” to Olivia Rodrigo’s “Vampire.” There is plenty to listen to for all ages and for anyone who still listens to songs they grew up hearing. There’s smooth jazz, classic all the way from the 60’s and 70’s. It’s never too late to put your fall playlist together and get into that state of mind with the fall season.

Any K-pop or J-pop listeners? Monster by SuperM is a good recommendation I got to listen to and it’s pretty good. There is something for everyone to listen to. Everyone is listening to their own songs to help get them through things, whether it’s dealing with midterm preparation or to help deal with their mental health. Take some time to yourself and go through your playlist. For those of you cozying up in relationships, head out to the pumpkin patch and listen to the entire Taylor Swift album (I personally support listening to the girl in red). There are a lot of music options and Halloween is just around the corner. I suggest listening to some songs off the show Wednesday since we’re on the topic of Halloween. The decorations, the food, the parties but of course, it’s not a party without music.

jenna ortega as wednesday
Netflix

My personal favorites are: Sweet Dreams (are made of this) by Annie Lennox, Psycho Killer by Talking
Heads, this is Halloween (remastered) by Marilyn Manson, Unholy by Sam Smith, Midnight Sky
by Miley Cyrus, Calling All the Monsters by China Anne McClain.

Everyone listens to different music genres, and it doesn’t just have to be fall-themed. (Coming from someone who listens to every music genre) There were many recommendations I got from different people when I asked them what they were listening to. Sucker for Pain by Imagine Dragons, Lil Wayne, Wiz Khalifa, X Ambassadors, Logic, Ty Dolla Sign was one I got from numerous people and a lot of Nicki Minaj to Megan Thee Stallion to Prom the band (Recommend listening to Winona Ryder). I listened to all the artist that was recommended to me and even learned about an indie rock band based in North Carolina. Sharing this experience with music is a great way to be in the state of mind that fall is here and to listen to whatever lifts up your spirit. With winter approaching, is Mariah Carey’s Christmas album defrosting for anyone else or is it already here?

Alyssa Cardona

Winthrop '26

I am currently a sophomore at Winthrop University. My major is social work with a minor in psychology.