What You Should Know About Donald Trump’s Approved Cabinet Picks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

For some of us, politics can seem like the most boring, irrelevant thing in the world.

However, I personally believe it’s important to stay informed and know all about your nation’s leaders!

I will not try to sway you to believe something good or bad about these appointments. I think you should make up your own mind and decide for yourself whether these appointments and their stances and beliefs align with your own; but in order to do so, you need to be informed!

It’s not about whether you are Republican party, Democrat party or a Pizza party, but simply about being an informed American who wants to support our nation.

The first member of Donald Trump’s cabinet to be confirmed was James “Mad Dog” Mattis, a former United States Marine Corps general, who will be serving as the Defense Secretary. He began serving our country in 1969 when he enlisted in the United States Marine Corps, and has been serving our country in many different offices since then.

John Kelly, also a retired United States Marine Corps general, will be serving as Homeland Security Secretary. Kelly has experience with working with the military in areas bordering and surrounding Mexico and South America while he was the head of United States Southern Command, which is why many think that Donald Trump selected him as the head of the Department of Homeland Security.

Mike Pompeo has been selected and confirmed as CIA Director. Before this, Pompeo served as the US Representative for Kansas’s 4th congressional district. Like Mattis and Kelly, Pompeo also has experience in the military; he served in the Army before moving into politics.

Nikki Haley has been named the 29th United Nations Ambassador for the United States. She is the former governor of South Carolina, the first female to hold the position. Before serving as governor, Haley was a member of the South Carolina House of Representatives.

The following cabinet appointments still require confirmation from congress:

Secretary of State: Rex Tillerson

Secretary of Treasury: Steven Mnunchin

Attorney General: Jeff Sessions

Interior: Ryan Zinke

Agriculture: Sonney Perdue

Commerce: Wilbur Ross

Labor: Andrew Puzder

Health: Tom Price

Housing: Ben Carson

Transportation: Elaine Chao

Energy: Rick Perry

Education: Betsy DeVos

Veterans: David Shulkin

EPA: Scott Pruitt

Small Business: Linda McMahon

OMB: Mick Mulvaney

DNI: Dan Coats

US Trade Rep.: Robert Lighthizer

Whether you like or approve all of these appointments or not, stay informed and support our nation, Collegiettes! 

Allison is a sophomore at Winthrop University where she majors in English and has a concentration in Secondary Education. On campus, Allison is very involved-she is an Honors student, Admissions Ambassador, and a member of Her Campus Winthrop, Baptist Collegiate Ministry, and Ratio Christi. Allison loves her family and friends very much, and tries to spread the love of Jesus wherever she goes. In her free time, Allison loves to travel (Paris, France is her favorite!), read classics like Pride and Prejudice, and drink iced coffee while binge-watching New Girl on Netflix. Follow her on Instagram to see her attempts to be artistic @allisondsnipes
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.