Chi Omega Sorority Girls
Chi Omega Sorority Girls
Cassie Howard / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

What Greek Life Has Brought Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

I rushed spring of last year in fear. Logging into the first recruitment call (we love Corona) was terrifying for me, with sorority stereotypes swirling around in my head. Going through the parties began to calm my nerves as I realized more and more that life is truly not like the movies. When I received my bid from Chi Omega, I was beyond excited as I felt that I truly found my second home here at Winthrop with girls that I related to and could easily hang out with. After bid day, my love for this sorority and my sisterhood has only grown stronger, and I am more excited for the next two years than I have been for school.

With COVID-19, our bid day was the day after bids were handed out, and it was the first time I got to meet my pledge class and the initiated sisters. It was a lot of fun. We played games to get to know each other better, and we went to go get food together after and I truly felt like I belonged. To be completely honest, I felt very lonely in high school and felt like I had very few people to turn to, especially when the pandemic hit, and finally being around a group of people who liked me for me and actively wanted me there was an amazing feeling. I had found a safe spot on campus and found people I can turn to for a coffee run or help. 

After initiation, I began to notice myself changing for the better. Getting to know people and stepping out of my comfort zone to meet all types of amazing people got significantly easier. I am constantly meeting people in Chi Omega and out that I can tell will be in my life forever. My people skills have also improved, especially throughout going through recruitment on the sisterhood side and forming connections. I also, as of this year, have been given two leadership positions that I feel have impacted me positively as well. I have learned to stand for what I believe in and plan and how to actively explain and break down events I get to plan. Being able to break down and explain my events to advisors has done wonders for my planning skills, and watching my sisters have fun at events I have held has been a huge confidence booster for me. I am also learning how to interact with and deal with leadership I do not necessarily like. Working on dealing with harsh and overpowered people sometimes will help in the future with being able to stick up for me and defend myself.

I have improved my presentation skills, and even if I still could use some work I feel like I am actively working on seeing progress. This one is huge for me, as presentations make me anxious about messing up (side note: yes I did theater, but that is a whole other playing field and professional presentations freak me out). I also have felt empowered within myself throughout my time so far. I feel like I am becoming a more social and active friend, I am sticking up for myself more, and watching my sisters, nonbinary and feminine, has given me a new sense of respect. It is amazing to watch myself and other women/nonbinary folks thrive and grow as people and leaders brings me so much joy. Despite all of the hate surrounding greek life right now across college campuses, as an initiated sister I can without a doubt say that joining a sorority is actively changing me for the better. 

Breanna Gayle is a senior Special Education major here at Winthrop as well as an exec member for Chi Omega and Circle of Sisterhood!! She is also a member of the Council for Exceptional Children. She can usually be seen hanging around campus with friends or getting an iced coffee. She is very excited and honored to be a part of the Her Campus crew!!