What Do Guys Want For Valentine’s Day?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Valentine’s Day can be magical or dismal. For most people, it falls somewhere in the middle. There always seems to be something getting in the way of the perfect V-Day—someone forgot to make a reservation, someone didn’t get the right candy and so on. But really, Valentine’s Day isn’t for those kinds of materialistic things, at least it isn’t for many people.

For guys, V-Day is just one pressure-filled holiday, especially for those who actually have a very specific girl to be their valentine. Most guys put a lot of planning and hard work into the activities that take place on the big day. Sure, it doesn’t always turn out the way we want, but what about them? What about the guys?

Valentine’s Day isn’t specifically designed to be just for girls, despite what common misconceptions believe—it’s for guys too. Unfortunately, the advertising and marketing campaign for this holiday is a lot less explicit on what to get guys.

So, we went around and asked several gentlemen on campus, both engaged in relationships and not, what they really want for Valentine’s Day. Some guys are just like girls and want something traditional. While other guys just want a little relief. 

Here are some of the things Winthrop guys have requested from their significant others and friends:

“Chocolate, I love Chocolate—it’s a lifestyle choice.” – Lincoln

“For Valentine’s Day, I just want peace. No pressure. Serenity. I want a cool, calm and relaxing Valentine’s Day.” – Joseph

“Companionship. To be with someone who likes me because I like being with people—and cuddling.” – Andrew

“Appreciation for what we [guys] do for Valentine’s Day.” – Thomas

“I just like spending time with the other person. Gifts are a little cliché. Companionship is what is important.” – Clay

“I’d be okay with candy—but, I’m not a wanter. Valentine’s Day just isn’t a wanting holiday for me. I want stuff for my birthday. I want stuff for Christmas. I mean, if someone got me a new bag of socks, that’d be great.” – Jonathan

“I want to see ‘Kingsmen: The Secret Service.’ I’ve been waiting so long for that.” – Cameron

“I want a puppy. That’s all I want in life, really.” – Zack 

Most guys are just like girls. They want the same things that you want, just a little bit of your time and love. But, remember this—Valentine’s Day doesn’t just have to be one day out of the year. Show how much you love your guys all 365 days of the year and they will be sure to return those feelings. Have a happy and safe V-Day girls! 

University: Winthrop Major: English, Literature and LanguageMinor: Professional WritingDream: Young Adult Novelist. University Professor. Female Version of Indiana Jones. Rich. Successful. Well-Traveled. Foster/Adoptive Mom. Life Motto: "To die would be an awfully big adventure, but to live would be an even greater one." --Peter Pan, J.M. BarrieLife Goal: To be happy and make other people happy. To do what I love. To help others find their passion.  
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.