Wake up and smell the roses : Activities to try this spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Seeing as springtime is here, the weather is getting warmer and the sun is staying out longer. We observe lots of rainy days and appreciate the vibrancy of flowers that blossom in sync. Many individuals come to spend more time outdoors seen through hosting cookouts or parties while others take a less active route strolling through the park after a long day. As the seasons change so do preferences in regard to how we spend our time. In order to get into the true “spring” of things, I have compiled a few ideas of activities that you may enjoy during this time of the year. 

Go hiking or camping 

I personally have never engaged in either activity but roasting marshmallows under the stars over a fire is definitely the type of cheesy movie scene I want to reenact at least once in my life. Being in nature is the perfect time to unplug from social media and soak up the natural beauty around you. 

Visit a flower farm 

When I think of spring I see myself frolicking in flowers, something like that one part in The Sound of Music. Walking through a flower farm is a pastime that truly emphasizes the beauty of blooming buds springtime prompts.  

Take a trip to the museum 

As I have gotten older I have come to appreciate the arts more and more. While museums are traditionally indoors, this is a great time to explore outdoor exhibits and events that showcase amazing bodies of work. 

Take a road trip or a long drive

Plan a visit to your favorite city with your family or group of friends ! Go out and make memories with loved ones that will last a lifetime. A head out of the sunroof moment is exactly what the warmer weather calls for.

Try a drive in movie

Drop the top of your car and roll down those windows. Grab your popcorn and enjoy a featured film in the comfort of your own space while crisp breezes flow through the air. 

Go to the beach

I have been waiting ever so patiently to go to the beach so this had to be on my list. Splash in the water during the day or listen to the sound of the crashing waves at night. Enjoy the sand under your feet and soak up the rays of the sun. 

Less fun bonus activity : Spring cleaning

This one may be less of a favorite however it is arguably one of the most important. Cleansing your space in general is a must but it is even more called for as we usher into a new season. Purge your home of any unnecessary clutter and do that digital detox you’ve been putting off ! Prioritize being in a clear and clean environment this spring.

This time of year is one where most begin to embrace the outdoors and defrost from the harsh conditions winter had to offer. Take time this season to step out of your comfort zone and admire the little things. Each season has its own activities and traditions that you can make special to your own experience so take full advantage. 

Yasmine Mobley

Winthrop '23

Hey everyoneee, I’m a content creator, future business owner and aspiring fashion designer!