matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Twists and Turns: The Jussie Smollett Investigation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Jussie Smollett, who is best known for his role as Jamal Lyon in the hit show Empire, has been taken into custody after an investigation into his publicized attack demonstrated that the actor had staged his attack.  Allegedly, his motive to lie about the incident was to gather sympathy from his followers and leverage his way to a bigger salary.

When the news broke out, Smollet declared that two white men wearing MAGA hats had attacked him in the early hours on Jan. 29.  As they attacked him with racial and homophobic slurs, one of the individuals poured bleach and tied rope around his neck as if to resemble a noose.

According to the Chicago police, Smollett planned and executed his attack by paying two brothers, Abimbola and Olabinjo Osundairo, with a check of $3,500.  With the help of surveillance videos, taxi cameras, and other resources, the police were able to track the activity of the 31-year-old actor.

The Chicago police Superintendent Eddie Johnson stated, “Jussie Smollett took advantage of the pain and anger of racism to promote his career.”

There has been a surge of outrage from those who once supported the Empire star.  Even President Donald Trump has added his two cents about the case. He tweeted, “@JussieSmollett – what about MAGA and the tens of millions of people you insulted with your racist and dangerous comments!? #MAGA”

In the early hours of Feb. 21, Smollett turned himself in to the Chicago police department.  His bond was set at $100,000. The actor paid and has been released.

Smollett has also been forced to give up his passport.  He maintains his innocence.  He is scheduled to attend court on Mar. 14.

Yashuri Del Rosario Rodriguez is a sophomore Mass Communication and French double major. When she's not reorganizing her notes for the hundredth time, she is watching Bones, daydreaming about her mother's cooking, and annoying her boyfriend of two years. She loves her chihuahua, amazing boyfriend, and wants to travel the world someday. Her favorite activities include going on dates with her boyfriend. Did we mention she's obsessed with him? For cool pictures and alrite captions, follow her on Instagram: @yashuridelr
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.