This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

We are living in a generation where being single is not favored among most, they treat it as if it is a badge of dishonor.  Yes, being in love is a beautiful thing, but being single should be just as desirable.   

My question is, when did being single become such a bad thing?  It is portrayed in movies, on TV shows, in books, and in our music; we are constantly exposed to people crying about how they just want to be in love, and have someone by their side.  Well, I would like to tell you the truth about being single, and why it is not as bad as people make it seem.

The truth is, there is no stigma to being single. No matter how good Sam Smith sounds as he croons about latching on to his lover, it is okay if you haven’t found that certain someone yet. Whatever is meant to be will be, and whatever is meant for you will find you. So stop looking and be patient. 

The truth is, being single does not mean you are alone. Get up, get out, and be active; find something to occupy your time. The problem with most people is that they don’t have anything going for themselves, and want to devote all of their time into other people. When those people are no longer around, they don’t know what to do, and trick themselves into thinking that they are alone.  Be independent and create a life for yourself; those who matter will fall into place.

The truth is, being single gives you time to develop yourself as a person. You do not need a mate to complete you; the sooner you become comfortable with yourself, the sooner you will realize that.  Use this time to figure out what you want in life, and set long-term goals for yourself. 

The truth is, being single gives you time to figure out what you’re looking for in a mate. One of the perks of being single is going on fun dates with new people. Be adventurous, try going out with someone who “isn’t your type.”  Being single gives you a chance to get well-rounded with all kinds of people. This is your trial and error stage; if a date goes terribly wrong, analyze what went wrong and why. Figure out what you like and what you don’t like, what you’re willing to tolerate, and how much you’re willing to give once that special person comes along.

The truth is, your time and energy is valuable. When you choose to be with someone not because they make you happy, but simply because you’re tired of being alone, realize you are wasting time that cannot be reimbursed.  You are a person of value, and your time and energy should be treated as such. Not everyone deserves to know your personal and intimate side, so save it for someone who is willing and ready to match your efforts.

The truth is, being single gives you a chance to grow in your faith. Spend more time reflecting on your beliefs.  Maybe that void you feel isn’t from an earthly form, but from a higher power that you have been neglecting. When you devote your time and energy into God, he will place someone in your path who is like him, seeking to fulfill your needs and desires with your best interest at heart.

The truth is, you won’t be single forever.  There will come a time when your life is no longer your own.  It will be filled with a beautiful family that will require a lot of your time and energy. You should enjoy this short time period where you don’t have to worry about anyone but you. Put yourself first in every decisions you make, and remember that only you can truly make yourself happy.

My name is Joie Harrison and I am a native of Summerville, South Carolina. I am pursuing my Bachelor's degree in Mass Communication at Winthrop University with a focus in broadcast, and a minor in Marketing. The past three years at Winthrop University has provided me with excellent hands on experience, as well as a number of helpful resources that continue to build me a solid foundation in Video Production. I have had the pleasure of producing, filming, and editing my own short videos, and plan to make it my career in the near future.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.