andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Traveling While You’re Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

During this semester abroad in Ireland I have had the opportunity to travel to a few different countries. The best thing about being in Europe is that is extremely easy and cheap to travel from country to country. My experiences have been rewarding, challenging, and also terrifying.

Traveling in a small group as young women (who all happen to be American) can be dangerous at times because many people may perceive us as naïve. Going into a country where you have no clue how to get around or what anyone is saying can be scary, but at the end of the trip you will have learned so much and feel confident in going to other countries.

For spring break my friends and I went on a cruise through the Mediterranean. The cruise itself was a good price and flying RyanAir is an extremely cheap way of getting around Europe.

We flew to Barcelona where we got on the ship and went to France, three places in Italy, and an island off the coast of Spain. Our adventures off ship were fun and we felt accomplished after site seeing entire cities in just one day.  

Being in the company of good friends while traveling definitely makes for a good time. And I would say the best part of the trip was the afternoon we got back to the ship early and us girls just sat by a fountain and talked. So the saying “it’s not where you are, it’s who you’re with” has been true throughout my time abroad.

On the other hand, I look forward to taking a trip alone. Currently I’m hoping to go somewhere in Ireland for a weekend. I have heard it is a good learning experience.

Traveling is the best time to learn about yourself, meet new people, and experience new things. Plus it’s a time to make memories you will cherish for the rest of your life.

Thank you to all my readers for keeping up with my time abroad! I look forward to sharing more of my experiences in the time to come!

Staff Writer/Social Media TeamSenior mass communication major from Pawleys Island, South Carolina. In my spare time, you can find me at the local coffee shop writing. :)Instagram and Twitter @HannahLStrong 
Catherine is an ambitious twenty-something woman living in Rock Hill, South Carolina where she attends Winthrop University as a mass communication major. She is the President and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Winthrop, which she co-founded in November 2014. She has also been a member of the Winthrop chapter of the Association for Women in Communications, and is currently the President of the Society of Professional Journalists chapter at Winthrop. Since being involved with Her Campus, Catherine received an internship at Her Campus Media in Boston, MA. She also currently works as a Chapter Advisor for the company and writes about Grey's Anatomy each week for the site. Because of Her Campus, she has also received writing positions at many publications throughout her 3 years at Winthrop. Outside of her busy lifestyle, Catherine enjoys relaxing with her friends on the weekends and having Sex and the City marathons. She can't live without her dog, family, Cosmopolitan, friends, Starbucks, Instagram, The Bachelor, Grey's Anatomy and of course Chick-fil-A. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: @cathclowe!