Struggles of The First Few Weeks Back at School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Ah, it’s good to be back at school. Winter break is different for everyone, but chances are that most of us were excited to get back into a routine of hanging out with friends, eating at strange times, avoiding laundry…oh, and like, studying. Whether or not you were excited to get back into college life, one thing is for sure — it’s a definite change from life at home. Here are a few of the struggles we undergo during the first few weeks of the second semester!

Waking Up to An Alarm 

Or just waking up in general. Wasn’t I sleeping in until noon like last week? Remembering to set an alarm, and subsequently, waking UP to the alarm, is one of the biggest struggles of getting back into the swing of college. 

Getting Used To Dorm Life…Again

Guest check-in policy, hall bathrooms, constant noise from neighbors who might ACTUALLY be committing some type of cult ritual in the wee hours of the morning…what even is a dorm? At home, everything is different — your friends are always welcome, the bathroom is only used by a few, and if someone is being too loud, you probably are okay with yelling at them.  But coming back to college? It’s like relearning a whole other set of rules. 

College “Food”

Maybe your parents or family makes huge meals and you eat them at the table, or maybe you were all about the takeout and quick lunches with friends — either way, coming back to college food is wack. Indescernible meats, soggy pizza, and lackluster salads are about to take over the food groups again. 

Having Responsibilities Again

Emails, memos, and deadlines, oh my! Grocery shopping, managing your money…even just making your appointments or phone calls is a struggle. Can we go back to binge-watching entire series in one day and surviving solely on Christmas cookies? 

Being Around People…Constantly

Introverts and extroverts alike understand this — even if you love having (insert your school’s population here) possible friends available 24/7, sometimes you just want to be alone. 

Actually Doing Homework 

I basically forgot all of my knowledge from the past 12+ years of school. It’s fine. 

Keeping Up With Your Chores 

We’re all strong, self-reliant women — but when you’re home for break, sometimes you can get a little complacent. And when your mom is so happy to have you home, letting her do some laundry, fix a real meal and basically take care of you is all too easy. So returning to school is kind of the worst because you have zero motivation to do anything and the next thing you know? Laundry piled to the sky, nothing but mustard in the refrigerator, and you don’t know when you last vaccumed. 

Even though the adjustment period can be kind of rough, being back at school is an awesome opportunity — let’s make this semester rock, Collegiettes! 

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.