The Struggles Of Being An Art Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Winthrop University has a variety of different majors and minors, and one major in particular is the majestically wonderful–yet often times challenging–Fine Arts Program. Whether majoring or minoring as a Fine Arts student, we come across multiple struggles that are constantly being put in our way, but that doesn’t stop us one bit from doing what we love. Here are some of the struggles of being an art student, as told by Winthrop University Fine Art Majors!

1. Back to back 3 hour studio classes with 15 minute breaks in-between and not having time to eat. 

2. The feeling of joy and happiness when a 3 hour studio class gets canceled (which rarely happens). 

3. Juggling art classes with general education classes.

4. Finding random charcoal or graphite stains in the strangest places.

5. Not being able to scratch an itch on your face because there is charcoal on your hand. 

6. Pulling an all-nighter to finish a project, then the professor extends the due date.

7. Having an idea for a project and another student steals it. 

8. Running to your bed after pulling an all-nighter.

9. Constantly carrying art supplies across campus.

10. When you take pride in your finished piece, then the professor critiques it negatively! 

11. Comparing your work to other students’ art work and feeling as though you’re not as talented as they are. 

12. Pulling an all-nighter like:

13. Carrying at least two sketchbooks with you at all times.

14. All-Nighters!!

15. Never fully understanding what the professor is asking for in an art assignment. 

16. Walking up and down the stairs with your art supplies, because who really needs elevators when you are carrying 18×24 inch Drawing and/or Newsprint pads, a tool box full of your supplies and a Drawing board? Not art students, that’s for sure! 

17. Did I mention All-Nighters? 

So remember, if you’re ever bored or interested in exploring Rutledge, Home of the Artists, then stop by because it’s literally the building that never sleeps. 

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.