Life > Experiences

Stories From Working with the Elderly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

I have worked with the elderly since my sophomore year in high school when my grandma moved into a retirement community. I was with her on her final tour and the manager saw me talking to some of the residents and offered me a job as a server in their dining room. I took the job but I had no idea how much my life would change.

Throughout my time working with the elderly, I have created quite the collection of stories and memories with them. These are some of my favorites.

Bingo For All Ages

I started my job when I was still 15 so I couldn’t drive to and from work after each shift. On weekends, when I would work multiple shifts I would often stay in-between. This led to me playing Bingo with the residents on Sunday’s. Some of my best memories are during Bingo games. I learned that the elderly are extremely competitive and talk serious trash talk during the game. One of the residents, Dolly, and I used to get back and forth during games in which she won most of them. Playing Bingo was some of the most fun I have had with them

Ice Cream for Dolly

One of my favorite stories from working there was when I served Dolly ice cream. I gave her the ice cream dish and she asked for a spoon. I looked directly into her eyes and just said “Lick it” She just looked at me and laughed. To this day, she will still tell that story to anyone who will listen. It has become a favorite for both of us. 

Tongues Out for Lola and Aubrey

There was a couple called Lola and Aubrey Carter that moved in a couple of months after I started working in the retirement community. One dinner, Lola asked for something that wasn’t her usual order and I jokingly stuck my tongue out at her. I wasn’t expecting that she would do it right back to me as well as her husband Aubrey. To this day, everytime I see Lola I make sure to stick my tongue out at her.

COVID-19 and the Elderly

I worked there during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. Seeing the residents confined to their rooms was heartbreaking. But I also learned just how resilient the elderly truly are. Even though they were confined to their rooms, they never lost their smiles and sense of humor. Every day, Mr. Chipps, one of the residents, would always ask the servers how they were doing and thank us for working that day. The elderly are truly some of the strongest people I know

Talking With Some of My Favorites

One of the best memories I have there was going to the residents rooms after I finished working to talk with them . Dolly, Lola, Eloise, Rod and Betty, Tim and Rachel, my grandma, all of them. It was such a joy to be able and sit down and talk to them about their lives and days as well as hearing their advice on issues I might be facing. It has been such a joy to talk to them and learn.

There are so many more stories and memories I could have included but I just didn’t have the space. So I would like to conclude by saying thank you to every resident. Thank you for all of the love you have shown me. Thank you for comforting me and cheering me up on my bad days. Thank you for all of the laughter, hugs, and stories that were given daily. But most of all, thank you for the memories and for allowing me to be a part of your life. Every single one of you means more to me than you will ever know and I am forever grateful for all of the residents that I have met. You have made me into the person I am today and I could not be where I am without you. So, thank you.

Marley Bassett

Winthrop '25

Hi! My name is Marley Bassett and I am a sophomore mass communication and political science major with a women and gender studies minor and have the goal of becoming a political reporter. I currently work as the managing editor for The Johnsonian and a staff writer for HerCampus. I love to write about anything and everything so I'm glad that HerCampus was able to give me that outlet. When I'm not in class or at work, I like to read, write, listen to music, work with the elderly, and perfect my iced coffee order at Starbucks.