This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

With spring approaching comes spring cleaning… out with the old and in with the new. Adding colors to your wardrobe, hanging out in your hammock, and all things springtime. Season changing doesn’t only mean a new Shein order, but a life cleans out. 

I know that a clean-out can be overwhelming, and you don’t know where to start but let’s start with the thing you’re looking at now to read this.

Ctrl… Alt… Delete.

Having a phone clean-out is super important and will probably help you with storage. Deleting random screenshots, old messages from people you no longer talk to, and those apps you never touch. You never realize how much of a hoarder you are until your photos are filled with over 15,000 pictures. It’s probably much easier deleting an app than giving away a three-year-old sweater you never touch. 

GoodWill trip

You have to do the dreaded closet… shirts bunched up in the corner, old ripped underwear, those tight jeans, GET RID OF THEM. It’s so much better to get rid of things than hog them. Make a pile, give it away to Goodwill, or if they’re in good condition, start a Depop shop! It’s always fun to color coordinate your closet when you’re bored in the summer. You never realize how many clothes you have until you’re hauling three big black trash bags to your car. 

Cutting ties

This is a harder one, get rid of people. I know this doesn’t sound good but get rid of people who don’t make you feel like your best self. Get rid of people who don’t inspire, motivate, or love you. Getting rid of people sounds terrible, but it doesn’t have to be this substandard and dramatic cut-off, just doing what’s best for you—not bringing bad and unnecessary energy into the next season. This also is going to open up opportunities for new people to come into your life.  Go to your school’s counseling services, or talk with a friend. Also, go to therapy if you need it. I’m honestly so glad that self-care is a bit of a trend; it’s so important. 

Scrubadubdub

It’s time for the physical cleaning. Vacuuming the corners that have spider webs (we all know a corner). Clean out your purses; so many times, I’ve crumbled receipts into my purse just getting lost in the never-ending chapsticks that overrule my wallet. Wash the shower curtain, get all the trash from under your bed, makeup brushes, clean the fridge (the deep depths of the refrigerator), and clean your computer-a Lysol wipe to the face will do just fine. Now, clean yourself! Exfoliate, shave (or don’t), shave your face, moisturize, all things self-care. 

I read this article from Makana Path, and she gives the ultimate checklist. 

Straighten your priorities. 

• Let go of a grudge.
  • Sweep away self-criticism 
  • Focus on your physical health. 
  • Renew your spirit.

Ladies, this is your season.
(Insert “I gotta put myself first” TikTok sound.)

Hello, my name is Jasmine Williams. I am currently a sophomore and I'm majoring in Mass Communication. Other than being on the HC team, I also have a blog and YouTube channel. I'm a Marketing Intern to Winthrop Dining and on the promotions team for Winthrop DSU! I enjoy listening to podcasts and drinking iced coffee.