So You Can’t Decide on a Major?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

I have never really been the type of person who knew what I wanted to be my whole life, much less what I wanted to wear each morning. I have truly always been an indecisive person. I even remember being asked as a kid, “What do you want to be when you grow up?”  Honestly, I had a different answer every time I was asked because I simply had no idea.

When I was a senior in high school, everyone was applying for colleges–as was I–but when I had to choose my desired major on the application, the only thing I could ever come up with was “Undeclared.”

I am now a junior in college and I am taking classes with people two years younger than me because I just decided to change my major. On the first day of one of my introductory classes we had to go around and tell what year we were. When I said I was a junior everyone just looked really confused.

My favorite thing, however, is when I see people’s reaction when they ask what I changed my major from. Originally I was a sports management major, then education, then social work, and now Digital Information Design. After two and a half years I have finally found a major that I have passion for…and I’m pumped.

My point in going on and on about all the different routes I have taken is this:

Deciding on your major is not a make or break decision. 

You may be one of those people who knew their entire life what you wanted to be, decided to major in that and you love it–which is great. You may also be one of those people, like me, who have no idea what you want to do. But that’s the awesome thing about college…you find yourself. You take classes you never knew existed and hear of career paths you never considered. 

So do not be discouraged if you change your major a million times!

If you end up being the oldest person in your class, the most behind on a subject or even if it takes you a little longer to graduate. You will decide on a major, and you will graduate. 

Also, to let you in on a little secret…the Federal Reserve Bank of New York conducted a study and only about 50% of workers have jobs that are related to their college major. 

So to my fellow Collegiettes, enjoy learning everything you can in college and most importantly know that it’s okay not to have your whole life planned out from the first semester of your freshman year.

Good luck, Collegeittes! Study hard and follow your heart!

Meet Sierra, a junior digital information design major.  She is forever wishing she could marry Justin Timberlake, travel the world and be Khloe Kardashian's bff. But until that day comes you can find her obsessing over her dog, being extremely awkward, or stressing over sommething she waited too long to start.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.