Six Tips for When You’re Planning to Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

So, you have decided that you want to study abroad. First off, go you! Studying abroad is an amazing opportunity. The process and preparation for studying abroad can be overwhelming, so here are some tips that will hopefully alleviate some of your stress.

Tip One

Figure out what program you want to apply to. That seems like a no-brainer, but at Winthrop, there are a lot of programs that you could apply to for study abroad. Do some research on the programs that are available to you and figure out some important things like costs, living arrangements, the type of classes that are offered and requirements like a certain GPA or reference letters.

Tip Two

Once you have selected the program that you are most interested in, do some research on the country that you will be studying in. Consider things like the type of food, the currency, the weather, the religion, the culture, the language and fun activities that you could take part in outside of the classroom.

Tip Three

Stay organized. There are a lot of deadlines and a lot of paperwork to fill out when it comes to studying abroad. Write important dates and deadlines down in your planner, and if you don’t have a planner, try investing in one! It’s a great way to stay organized and have everything in one place.

Tip Four

Be aware of what you will need for your certain program. You will need a passport. You may need other documentation like a student visa, but that depends on where you are going. For example, I am studying abroad in Sevilla, Spain through a program called Academic Studies Abroad (ASA). I needed a student visa because I was going to be in Spain for over 90 days. I had to go to Miami to receive this student visa, there was no mail in option. Research what documentation you will need in case you must travel to receive it.  

Tip Five

Get connected with the study abroad office (located in Dinkins 218). Dr. Poole and Chelsi are the biggest help when planning to study abroad. They both have extensive international experience and can help you with anything. Also, reach out to other students that have studied abroad at the same program that you are going to study abroad at, they can be a huge help as well and answer a lot of questions that you may have.

Tip Six

Breathe. Planning to study abroad can be stressful, but take it one day at a time. All of the hard work will pay off when you are getting on a plane that is going to take you on the adventure of a lifetime!

Studying abroad is an amazing experience. It is one that requires some hard work, but it is well worth it. If you are considering it or you have already started an application, go for it! There is no better time than the present. Don’t let anything stand in your way of following your dream of studying abroad because you are more than capable and more than deserving of this once in a lifetime opportunity!

Just a young and ambitious social work major with a love for people, coffee, and travel!
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.