legally blonde icky valentines day?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
legally blonde icky valentines day?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
MGM
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Single or Committed: Which is Better?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

As Valentine’s Day is approaching, I think it’s only right to broach the topic of relationships. It’s the one day out of the year that makes you realize just how single you are. From huge teddy bears, boxes of chocolate, and romantic date nights, you might begin to wonder if being single is even worth it.

Well, think about it like this:

Valentine’s Day is only one day out of the entire year. Being in a relationship on Valentine’s Day may mean you don’t have to spend the evening downing a carton of ice cream and binge-watching romantic comedies. But, not necessarily. Whether you’re single or committed, each side has their perks and maybe after reading this article, you might feel better about being single.

1. Space

The main thing you relinquish in a relationship is your space. Not to say that you’ll have no space at all, just that you’ll have way less than you did before. If you’re a private or reserved person, it certainly takes a toll on you because no matter how much you like or care about someone, a lack of personal space can definitely be overwhelming. But when you’re single, you don’t necessarily have to worry about letting people in your personal bubble. You don’t have to worry about PDA, snuggling, or holding hands. Yes, having someone to kiss or hug is great and all, but having personal space can help you find a new appreciation for being single.

2. Time Management and Stress

Particularly for college students, it’s difficult trying to juggle your classes and your relationship. Most relationships these days aren’t simple and require a bit of effort. Sometimes, you can’t stay up late on Tuesday night watching movies and having deep conversations because you literally have an eight am class. And if you’re a working college student, that can be just as overwhelming. But to the lovely single people, balancing a relationship is the least of your worries. Instead of stressing over staying up late with your S.O., you get to enjoy a good night’s sleep so you can direct your stress elsewhere.

3. Heartbreak

Let’s be honest–in a perfect world, every relationship would work out. But this isn’t a perfect world and not every relationship does. Sometimes, it ends mutually with both parties agreeing it’s what’s best for them. But most of the time, it ends bitterly because of a lack of communication, cheating, or two people with deep-seated issues believing a relationship will solve their problems (it does not). Being in a relationship means that you are going to eventually have to be vulnerable and all the walls you put up when you were single, slowly break down brick by brick. When in a relationship, there’s always a risk when you open yourself up to someone who’s a good person or not.

This article wasn’t to bash people in relationships at all. I think for the most part, we tend to glorify committed people because they seem happier than those who are not. But, that isn’t true. In fact, a lot of people in relationships tend to be less happier than they were when they were single: ironic. I will say that being in a relationship is fun and amazing, especially when you’ve found someone great. Cuddling, watching movies, and eating out can be so much fun when you’re with someone you really like and Valentine’s Day becomes special since you have someone to share it with. However, if you don’t, it doesn’t have to be another day out of the year when you realize you’re lonely. Being in a relationship is great, but don’t let one day out of the year convince you that being single isn’t great too.

Kyla Hutchinson

Winthrop '25

I'm a Freshman at Winthrop and I am a Writing Major. I aspire to become a writer and create numerous short stories, poems, etc…