absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

With St. Patrick’s Day coming soon and midterms in full force, I think it is safe to say that we could all use a bit of luck! Aside from all of the green clothes, bring the luck of the Irish to your food. Here are some shamrockin’ recipes that will make sure your day is the luckiest of all.

Corned beef and CabbageIn my family, it has become a tradition to make corned beef and cabbage. So, from my family to yours, here’s a new tradition for you!

Ingredients:

• 2 pounds red potatoes, quartered
  • 1 pound carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
  • 2 celery ribs, cut into 3-inch pieces
  • 1 small onion, quartered
  • 1 corned beef brisket with spice packet (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
  • 8 whole cloves
  • 6 whole peppercorns
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 bottle (12 ounces) Guinness stout or reduced-sodium beef broth
  • 1/2 small head cabbage, thinly sliced
  • Prepared horseradish

Instructions:

• In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine potatoes, carrots, celery and onion. Add corned beef (discard spice packet or save for another use).
  • Place cloves, peppercorns and bay leaf on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose seasonings; tie securely with string. Place in slow cooker. Pour stout over top.
  • Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender, adding cabbage during the last hour of cooking. Discard spice bag.
  • Cut beef diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve beef with vegetables and horseradish. Yield: 9 servings.

Photo by Taste of Home

Lime Sherbet FloatsWith Spring making it’s debut, it is only suiting to introduce the Lime Sherbet Floats. These floats are the perfect “green” drink… and not to mention they’re yummy too! All you need is some lime sherbet, which can be found at any local grocery store (holla’ Walmart) and lemon-lime soda. Find a glass, fill it with scoops of sherbet, and pour the soda on top. Enjoy!

Photo by Home Cooking Memories

Irish CookiesEveryone loves the taste of cookies…and let’s be honest, Thomson does have great cookies. But, wouldn’t it be better if you had fresh, warm cookies? That’s what I thought!

Ingredients:

• 1 standard cake mix (store bought box)
  • 6 tsp of butter (melted)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 40 drops of Green food coloring
  • 5 drops of Wilton brand liquid flavoring (mint)
  • 1 cup of powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp corn starch

Instructions:

•  Preheat the oven to 375
  •  Melt the butter (allow to cool) 
  •  In a shallow dish, mix together the powdered sugar and cornstarch
  • In a large bowl, mix together the butter, cake mix and eggs
  • Add the green food coloring and mint flavoring (again, optional) and mix very well
  • Form into 1 tsp size balls
  • Roll the balls in the powdered sugar, mix, and coat well
  • Arrange on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
  • Bake for 8 minutes in the pre-heated oven
  • Allow to cool and serve with a glass of milk and enjoy! 

Spinach Artichoke Dip

Ingredients:

• 2 cups parmesan cheese
  • 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed
  • 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
  • 2⁄3 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup cream cheese
  • 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 teaspoons garlic, minced

Instructions:

• Preheat oven to 375°F.
  • Mix together Parmesan cheese, spinach and artichoke hearts.
  • Combine remaining ingredients and mix with spinach mixture.
  • Bake for 20-30 minutes.
  • Serve with crackers or toasted bread.

Photo by Food.com

Guacamole – Yummy!This delicious and green dip is one amazing (and lucky) snack for St. Patrick’s Day!

Ingredients:

• 2 large ripe avocados, pitted, peeled and mashed
  • 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
  • 2 jalapeño chilies, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
  • 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Dash of pepper
  • Tortilla chips, if desired  

Instructions:

• Mix all ingredients except tortilla chips in glass or plastic bowl. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour to blend flavors.
  • 2 Serve with tortilla chips.

Photo by BettyCrocker.com

With all of these recipes, there is no doubt in my mind that you won’t have some luck added to your day!

“For each petal on the shamrock this brings a wish your way- good health, good luck and happiness for today and everyday” -Unknown.

Caitlan Walzer is a sophomore at Winthrop University majoring in mass communication with a concentration in broadcast journalism. She is originally from San Diego, California and then in 2000 moved to a small town in South Carolina. She enjoys competing in pageants (is a part of the Miss America Organization) and is a licensed makeup consultant for Merle Norman Cosmetics. Caitlan is an active student at Winthrop, enjoys watching Netflix, being an active member within her sorority, spending time with her friends, and, of course, drinking Starbucks.   
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.