Selena Gomez Battles Lupus And The Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Selena Gomez recently revealed that she has been diagnosed with a rare disease called Lupus. After being attacked by the media, she finally reveals the truth as to why she canceled the Australian and Asian legs of her Stars Dance Tour back in 2013.

Gomez has had every possible obstacle thrown at her since she left Disney Channel. The former wizard has had multiple hit singles, but the experiences that created these hit songs have not been pleasant experiences for the star.

In the past couple years, the singer has been accused of having a drug addiction, an unhealthy obsession with her ex-boyfriend Justin Bieber and has been the target of cyber-bullying. Little did people know, she was not in rehab for drug addiction nor obsession with Justin Bieber, but has been going through chemotherapy for Lupus for the past three years.

Lupus is a vicious disease that targets the immune system which causes a confusion between viruses with healthy tissue. This confusion can cause strokes.

Gomez told Billboard, “I wanted so badly to say ‘I’m in chemotherapy. You’re a**holes. I locked myself away until I was confident and comfortable again.”

Senior integrated marketing and communication major Katie Samuels said, “It is misleading for the media to just assume she had a drug addiction and was obsessed with her ex. Even I believed the media.You can only take the media with a grain of salt. Now, I feel bad that I believed that.”

Some may question why Gomez did not address her condition earlier when the tabloids were creating rumors.

“I don’t think it was her responsibility to tell anyone. She shouldn’t have to constantly defend herself from the media. She has the right to keep her private life private,” Samuels said.

Selena Gomez on coping with cyber-bullyingBesides false rumors in the tabloids, media has been body-shaming the singer after a picture of Gomez in a bikini surfaced.

“I don’t want them to win,” Gomez said during an interview on the Ellen Show. “It’s so annoying when I see it all over the place and everybody thinks they can bring me down so my immediate response was, ‘I’m going to post a picture. I’m happy with me and that was going to be the story the next day.’”

Making a revivalLuckily for Selena Gomez fans, the singer has been putting all her frustrations and experiences into her upcoming album titled, “Revival”.

“The idea of revival is figuring out through all the hurdles that life is going to give you or if the world comes at you with its’ worst, you just have to come back at it with your best,” Gomez said.

The album gives fans an insight on Selena’s deepest thoughts and how she overcomes her personal issues. 

Kelsey Mikeska is currently a junior studying Mass Communications at Winthrop University. Kelsey was born in Chicago, Illinois but has been living in Charleston, South Carolina for the past 10 years. Her passion for pop culture has kept her interested in all things fashion, celebrities, and music. You can catch her gushing about her favorite music and celebrities on her WINR radio show, called Got Juice every Friday at 9 p.m. on TuneIn.com. For funsies, she likes to sing, play guitar, vlog, and listen to Ariana Grande. Kelsey likes to pretend she's a professional food photographer on Instagram so you might want to give her a follow!Follow her on Instagram and Twitter!
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.