This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

On Thursday, January 12, 2023, Lisa Marie Presley passed away at the fault of full cardiac arrest.

Many people know her as the daughter of the iconic rock-and-rock legend, Elvis Presley. Lisa Marie was a singer-songwriter and even dueted songs with her late father. She was a loving mother to Riley Keough (33), Ben Keough (passed at age 27), and twins Harper Vivienne Ann Lockwood and Finley Aaron Love Lockwood (14). She inherited Graceland, the Presley family’s gorgeous home, at age 9 in 1977, when her father passed away. The home has now been passed along to her eldest daughter, Riley, who plans to keep it open for public viewing. Her mother, Priscilla, is still alive and well at age 77 and resides in Beverly Hills.

When she passed, Priscilla released a statement to The Associated Press, saying, ““It is with a heavy heart that I must share the devastating news that my beautiful daughter Lisa Marie has left us.”

Several celebrities that shared love for Lisa Marie also made statements. To name a few:

• Dolly Parton: Priscilla, I know how sad you must be. May God comfort you at this time. Elvis, I know how happy you be to finally have her home and to have her back with you. Lisa Marie, may you rest in peace. We all love all of you.”
  • John Travolta: “Lisa baby girl, I’m so sorry. I’ll miss you but I know I’ll see you again. My love and heart goes out to Riley, Priscilla, Harper, and Finley.”
  • Austin Butler: “My heart is completely shattered for Riley, Finley, Harper and Priscilla at the tragic and unexpected loss of Lisa Marie. I am eternally grateful for the time I was lucky enough to be near her bright light and will forever cherish the quiet moments we shared. Her warmth, her love and her authenticity will always be remembered.”

Lisa Marie was famously known for her musical career, with hit songs such as Lights Out and You Ain’t Seen Nothin’ Yet. She also duetted songs with her father, such as Where No One Stands Alone. She was a most beloved woman that unfortunately knew a life of grief and loss. The Presley family, close friends, and Elvis fans adored her from the moment she was born.

Her memorial was on January 22nd and was open to the public to attend both in person and online. It was, of course, held at Graceland and had some amazing performances including Axl Rose and the Blackwood Brothers Quartet. There were also some great speakers including Jerry Schilling, The Duchess of York, and Priscilla Presley. Apart from Lisa’s family and close friends, Elvis actor Austin Butler and director Baz Luhrmann were also in attendance. It was a beautiful memorial and can be watched on YouTube if you have not already seen it.

I knew that because of who I am, and the situation I’m in, that I’d attract more critics than your average person, and that was a little intimidating, but I wanted to get out there and pay my dues.

Lisa Marie Presley

She has been laid to rest in Graceland, next to her son, Ben, and across from her father, Elvis. She will never be forgotten for her impact on society and the mark she left on us.

Lisa Marie Presley, February 1, 1968 – January 12, 2023.

If you wish to show your support to the Presley family in light of their tremendous loss, they ask that you donate to the Elvis Presley Charitable Foundation (supporting several causes including children’s programs).

Emma Oresic

Winthrop '24

Hi everyone! My name is Emma Oresic and I am a junior Elementary Education major at WU. Some of my favorite pastimes are painting, watching Netflix, and reading and writing.