Reese Witherspoon Says Goodbye To Canine Co-Star On Instagram

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

When Legally Blonde was released in 2001, Elle Woods won the hearts of millions of people with her pink outfits, her positivity and her amazing life lessons, and did so with her little Chihuahua Bruiser by her side.

However, The Huffington Post reported today that the beloved dog who played Elle’s sidekick in the movies passed away yesterday.

According to Elle Magazine, Bruiser, whose name in real life was Moonie, lived until he was 18 years old.

Through his 18 years, his fans grew with the Legally Blonde franchise. Today, his millions of fans are Tweeting about him, Facebooking about him and cherishing the years he was Elle Woods BFF.

Reese Witherspoon, the actress who plays Elle Woods, is among one of the millions who is mourning the death of the little dog, and she shared her thoughts in a heartfelt post and tribute to her pal on Instagram.

Reese writes in her post, “With a sad heart, I have to let all the #Legally Blonde fans know that Bruiser Woods (also known as Moonie) passed away yesterday. He was a sweet little Chihuaua who was very loved. I wlil never forget all the days we spent together … I’m sure his tail is wagging in the sky. Sending love to his trainer, the wonderful @tailsticks #RIPBruiser.”

We’ll miss you Bruiser, you lived an amazing life and you were the ultimate dog BFF that all of us dream of having one day. 

Emily Murphy has been with Her Campus Media since 2018, and is currently the Branded Content Associate. She was the Campus Correspondent and Editor/President at her chapter at Winthrop University for four years, but has had a passion for all things writing since she was young. When she's not scribbling ideas down for her next branded article, she's watching reruns of Seinfeld while scrolling Pinterest for apartment inspo. Follow her on Instagram at @emilysmurfy