Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Reclaiming Valentine’s Day: Things to Do If You Are Single on February 14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Ah, Valentine’s Day. Possibly the worst time of the year for anyone who doesn’t have a significant other. But it doesn’t have to be! What better year than 2022 to reclaim this Hallmark-made holiday. Valentine’s Day has always had the potential to be an awesome holiday for everyone. My goal for this article is to give you options to achieve this goal and make this Valentine’s Day your best one yet!

Go see a movie with your friends

I will be doing this on Valentine’s Day this year and I’m so excited. Gather up all of your single friends, dress up (or down), and head to the movies. Who says the AMC can’t be a runway? Pick the cheesiest or scariest movie you can find and create fun memories that will be so much better than a tinder date.

Take yourself out to eat

In the words of our Parks and Rec icons, Donna and Tom, treat yourself! Get dressed up and go to your favorite restaurant and eat. The only advice I have with this tip is to avoid restaurants that are a hotspot for valentine’s day couples. They don’t need to ruin your night. If you don’t want to go out, order your favorite takeout or delivery and have a night in.

Have a self-care day

There is no better excuse to pamper yourself than on valentine’s day. Spend a whole day (or night) getting your nails done, shopping, or at the spa. If Valentine’s Day was re-branded as a self-love holiday instead of only romantic, I just know more people would be excited about it.

Go out!

If you are of age, you could go out clubbing or dancing. Dance the night away with your friends (or with complete strangers)! Or if that isn’t your vibe, you could find a fun activity to do with your friends (rock climbing, bingo, karaoke, trivia, etc.) If you’re an extrovert like me, anything beats staying at home alone.

Go on a day trip

Find somewhere close to you (or far away) and just go! New people, places, and experiences are such a nice and refreshing way to celebrate Valentine’s Day this year. Think outside of the box and you will make some priceless memories.

Set Intentions

This is whatever you want it to mean. Could be journaling, setting goals, manifesting, making a vision board, or anything that helps you to be intentional. For me, journaling really keeps me grounded and helps me focus on my goals. You could set goals for the rest of the month or even for the year if you want to.

Unplug from social media

In my opinion, this is the most important tip on this list. On Valentine’s Day, everyone who is not single is going to let you know by posting. I think that Valentine’s Day will be much more bearable for anyone who is single by simply unplugging from social media for the day.

Get a good nights sleep

This is so important every day. An appropriate amount of sleep is necessary to be your best self. If you’re not a fan of Valentine’s Day, sleep is the way to avoid and get through it. Also the sooner you go to sleep on Valentine’s Day, the sooner it will be over.

I'm Camryn and I'm a senior Special Education major from Lexington, South Carolina! I love chai lattes and enjoy all things fall.