Ray McKetty: 2015-2016 Student Body President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Name: Ray McKetty

Hometown: Greenville, South Carolina

Year: 2017

Major: English

Tell Her Campus a little about yourself. 

I definitely do not bite, so please don’t be afraid to strike up a conversation with me! Also, I might just make conversation with random people. I’m a people person, I thrive off of good vibes, good energy and positive individuals! I like talking about music, social issues, politcs and engaging in witty banter from time to time. I love being around people that can just roll with the punches sometimes.

What does it mean to be a college leader?

From my perspective, being a college leader means going through the trials and tribulations that any other college student may face (school work extracurricular activities, having a part-time job), while at the same time having the understanding that you have responsibilities as a role model, resource and sometimes even confidant to your fellow students.

What inspired you to run for Student Body President?

In the beginning of my sophomore year a friend of mine approached me about the idea, saying that if I ran for office she would be my campaign manager. It took me a while to warm up to the idea, because I thought that there was NO WAY, I was going to win, so why even bother? I was relatively unknown around campus

What do you and Alexander (VP) and Michaela Dunbar (Secretary) plan to accomplish as collaborators for the school year?

One of the biggest things we want to accomplish is making CSL more recognizable to students. We strive for student interaction. Without the student body, there is no CSL. We have a couple of ideas on how to do this moving forward, but nothing is set in stone as of yet.

What goals do you have in mind thus far?

Getting people to the CSL meetings would be a great start. There are so many students that can contribute to what happens on campus they may not even be aware of it. Another goal would be to have CSL having some part to play in addressing issues regarding inequality, racism, gender discrimination, and civic engagement in the context of Winthrop University’s campus.

What has it been like meeting and working with our new President of Winthrop?

He’s a really cool guy! Dr. Mahony has been a pleasure to work with. He knows how to conduct business with a level head, and he has a vast amount of experience working in higer education to draw from. He knows how to find the right balance between being professional and approachable, and I can’t wait to see what he’s going to do for Winthrop.

What additional leadership roles do you hold at Winthrop and those you held in the past?

I was a Resident Assistant in Richardson last year. By extension, I got to serve on the Dining Services and Advisory Board, which gave me some insight on just HOW powerful the student voice was in making changes on campus.

Are you involved in any other organizations on campus?

Aside from CSL, I currently serve as the Recognition Chair for the National Residence Hall Honorary.

Of all the roles which would you say has shaped you into a better young man?

Being a Resident Assistant was probably the thing that helped to mold me into a better leader. It taught me how to plan better, how to be a better mentor, better role model, and truly pushed the envelope for me as far as professional/leadership development goes.

What advice would you give to the freshman class?

My advice would be to never forget why you are here or how much of a privilege it is to be here, no matter how much fun you may be having. College is too expensive to blow off those top tier priorities! Surround yourself with people who want to succeed and want to see you succeed. There’s a saying along the lines of “you are the company you keep,” so make sure that the people in your inner circle are goal-oriented.

What are your goals and plans upon earning your degree?

I am currently in the Master of Arts in Teaching program, also known as MAT5. It is a program that allows full time students to earn a Master’s degree during their additional 5th year. As far as earning my BA, I really just spend a lot of my time studying. I plan ahead and constantly write stuff down to stay on top of things.

Name one thing that you love about Winthrop.

The intimate community feeling. I sometimes go to different campuses across the state, and they never can quite compare to the sensation of walking down scholars or hanging out on DIGS lawn ! Everyone seems so comfortable here.

We have a large number of incoming freshman, how can you reach them as student body president?

We’re focusing on doing some school-wide student outreach. We want to keep people updated through social media, because we know not everyone can make it to our meetings.

What advice can you offer to the Class of 2019?

Get involved guys, seriously. Try and find some way to immerse yourself in the Winthrop campus. You’ll get out what you put in to this experience.

Why did you choose Winthrop?

I chose Winthrop because I could honestly see myself thriving here. It had everything I wanted from the moment I stepped onto campus. The gym, the student center, the class room sizes, and the rooms really did it for me.

What are your long term goals after Winthrop University?

I would love to teach English in another country! I’m looking to join either the Peace Corps right after college or teaching in the Charlotte area, before going into politics. Whatever path I go down, I want to make sure that I am helping or inspiring people along the way.

What leaders do you look up to?

I really look up to my family members as leaders in the community especially my mom. She’s always been supportive of everything that I’ve ever wanted to get involved in.

I am a Mass Communications major at Winthrop University with a minor in theatre. I enjoy reading, writing, singing, blogging, traveling, photography and all things newsworthy(media, fashion and entertainment). I also love having fun and doing quality professional work. I enjoy volunteering with various organizations one in particular SOAR. A fun fact about myself is that I enjoy figure-skating and I use to take piano lessons. I truly enjoy being in the company of my family, friends and church family and I love helping others. I am excited about this opportunity, as I am looking forward to learning and passing it on.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.