Random Acts of Kindness You Can Do Any Day of the Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

National Random Acts of Kindness Day is observed on February 17th each year. It is the day designed to encourage acts of kindness to the outside world. In honor of this day, here are some ideas for acts of kindness you can do any day.

Compliment someone

This is usually what comes to mind as an act of kindness. Try to branch out and compliment someone you do not know so well, or may not even know at all. It can always brighten someone’s day when a stranger compliments his/her sweater!

Thank the people you love

Whether it is your parents, best friend, fellow club member, or even a teacher, thank someone you love for what they do and how hard they work.

Pay for someone’s meal

While you’re at the pay window of the McDonald’s drive-thru, offer to pay for the car behind you’s meal. You never know what that can mean to them.

Donate to a charity

Whether it be local or online, find a way to donate to a charity, even if it is just $5.

Leave a note for someone

It can be your friend, your roommate, your significant other, or even that nice woman in your apartment complex. Just leaving a note that says “have a great day!” can brighten anyone’s day.

Make cards for a local nursing home

Many elderly in nursing homes are very lonely and do not get to see family often. Try to make a few cards for any holiday and drop them off at a local nursing home. You can get your friends involved!

Become an organ donor

If it is something you have been thinking about doing but never really gotten around to it, DO IT NOW! Your organs can save many lives.

Donate blood or plasma

You can save so many lives by doing either of these, and it takes only a short amount of time!

Happy Random Acts of Kindness Day Collegiettes! 

Ali Maclay is a biology major, chemistry minor, psychology minor, and honors student at Winthrop University. She is an aspiring Neuroscientist and hopes to work at St. Jude Children's Hospital. She is the Facebook Social Media Director for Her Campus Winthrop's Facebook page, and associate member of Tri Beta Biological Honors Society, and a member of the Student Affiliates of the American Chemical Society at Winthrop. When she's not doing academic work, working at her job, or writing for HC, she's probably binge-watching Netflix, dreaming on Pinterest, stress cleaning, or eating ice cream.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.