This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

With 2016 almost coming to an end, everyone is preparing to make 2017 their best year yet. And while we all say that every year, we somehow convince ourselves we will do better the next year. Every year, people will make a list of goals to go to the gym more, eat healthier, work harder, do better – the list goes on and on. I know I have personally made some of those goals, but how is it possible to have a different set of goals I know I can achieve beyond just the month of January?

Some may ask, was 2016 the best year you’ve had so far?  My answer: absolutely not.

Now, I must say, while my answer remains “no”, nothing completely drastic happened that resulted in my answer. The reason behind that is the promise I have made to myself for 2017. My promise does not include goals such as going to the gym or working harder, because I can do both of those things without the promise of having 2017 be “the best year yet”.

The promise I made to myself for the new year is simple: be a better you. While that may sound cliché, let me explain.

This promise can mean a variety of things, but for me, it’s taking advantage of every opportunity I have, because most opportunities only come once in a life time. It means taking more initiative, creating better relationships, becoming more trusting of others, and so on. While those are only a few examples, I made the promise to “be a better me” because while 2016 consisted of hard times, with those hard times came lessons learned.

I believe one of the most important connections a person can create is the relationships they form with others. Whether it is a brother, sister, parent, friend, boyfriend or girlfriend relationship, each one is unique and requires different expectations. One of the most important lessons I have learned is how to form the best relationships with others. If 2016 has taught me one thing, it is to remove the toxic people out of your life. While much easier said than done, it can drastically change your life.

Some of the best advice I can give to someone is this: if you are in a car with someone and they do not make you feel better about yourself, or they make you question your self-worth, get out of the car, because those people were not meant to stay in your life.

My promise for 2017 was to “be a better me” because I wanted to surround myself with those who I know loved and cared for me. While I have always remained true to myself, I want to be surrounded by those who make me feel better myself.

To 2017,

May your promise be fulfilled far beyond your year, and your life be full of those who love you.

Sincerely,

A better me 

Miss Lake Keowee USA 2017 // @hcwinthrop IG: @addy_hicks Twitter: @hicks_addy
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.