Plot Twist: I Met My Boyfriend on Tinder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Let’s be real for a minute: millennials get a lot of heat from older generations for a variety of different reasons.

Whether it’s the fact that we’re seemingly too attached to our phones or that we rely too heavily on technology in general, the general basis for most of these criticisms is that the way in which we interact and relate to other people has become increasingly less personal. Texting is out most common form of communication, we resort to emailing our professors with questions rather than showing up to their office in person, and now we even depend technology as a means of meeting new people. 

Online dating is something that I definitely feel has become increasingly more common in the past few years. Apps like Tinder and Bumble are now normal residents in the phones of many adolescents and even adults. The appeal of such apps is obvious – who would pass up the chance to meet cool, attractive, and exciting people that you may never come in contact with otherwise?

One thing I find very interesting is despite the fact that many, MANY people use these apps, a lot of them are embarrassed to admit that they do. Something about meeting someone and getting to know someone through the internet leaves people feeling skeptical. It’s almost as if people are wondering whether or not you’re even capable of meeting someone in real life. 

It is because of the stigma associated with online dating that I would like to share my own personal Tinder success story. 

Now, here’s a disclaimer: When I downloaded Tinder, I in no way expected to find a boyfriend. Hell, I didn’t even expect to find a guy I’d even remotely like. 

In all honestly, I downloaded Tinder as sort of a joke. More than anything, I wanted to see what kind of people were using the app. Were these people as ridiculous as the stories I’d heard from friends? Or were they actually normal? 

I created my Tinder account on a whim, and this is what I found: 

1. Yes, there were ridiculous guys on Tinder with no intention other than finding a one-night stand 

2. There were also guys looking for a more than one-night stand, more of a friends with benefits sort of relationship 

3. A very small percentage of guys were looking for a legitimate relationship (most of which were not my type) 

Over the course of several months, I’d had very shallow, surface level conversations with a number of different guys, and none of it went beyond the rare, and extremely awkward first date. I had gotten to the point where I was basically ready to delete the app from my phone altogether. I wasn’t matching with anyone that genuinely interested me, which didn’t surprise me at all, and I was no longer amused. 

It was just as I contemplated ditching Tinder for good that I made the match that mattered most

Fast forward five months later and I’m in the happiest and healthiest relationship I’ve ever had. 

My boyfriend has met my family, my friends, and most importantly my pets. We’ve taken weekend trips together, explore new places, tried new foods, and grown infinitely closer and stronger as a couple. He means the world to me and now I can’t imagine my life without him. 

I didn’t download the app hoping to find the love of my life. I didn’t download the app with any legitimate intentions at all. However, in keeping an open mind and recognizing a good guy when he’s standing in front of me, that’s exactly what I found. I found a friend, a companion, and someone I hope to spend a very long time with, and that’s right, I met him on Tinder. 

Don’t underestimate the power of love, or the source it could come from collegiettes.

Nicholle Lewis

Winthrop '20

Nicholle is a junior biology major with a minor in psychology and Winthrop University. In addition to being Editor in Cheif for Her Campus at Winthrop, she is an honors student, an undergraduate research assistant, a member of the fraternal conduct board, and a sister of Delta Zeta. In her free time, Nicholle enjoys reading, hiking, yoga, and meeting new dogs. When asked what her favorite aspect of Her Campus is, Nicholle replied "I love Her Campus because if has helped me learn to not only find my own voice, but to use it to connect with so many people I wouldn't have met otherwise." 
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.