This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Of course we’ve all heard of the different beauty myths that goes around. For example, we’ve all heard that once you shave your hair it grows back thicker, or that popping a pimple is bad. But how many of these myths are actually true? In cosmetology school, I was surprised when I discovered that a lot of these beauty myths that I’ve believed my whole life weren’t actually true.

Oil and moisturizer should be avoided if you have oily skin

MYTH When oily skin is stripped of its natural oils then it can cause excessive sebum to be produced. Sebum is the oily substance that hydrates and protects the skin. The key to oily skin is to use an oil/water based moisturizer with hyaluronic acid. Using a good moisturizer can actually help the skin produce less oil. So using oil on oily skin is actually more beneficial than harmful.

Facial shaving can exfoliate the skin

FACT Shaving your face can actually remove dead skin cells and make the skin appear smoother. Hair is classified into two different types known as terminal and vellus hair. Terminal hair is darker, thicker, and longer than vellus hair. Vellus hair is thin, short, and lighter. It is commonly referred to as peach fuzz. Removing both vellus and terminal hair can enhance the application of skincare products and makeup and promote clearer skin. The myth that hair grows back thicker when shaved is false. Removing hair causes the hair to get a blunt tip which makes many people think it is growing back thicker when in reality the hair is undergoing a growth phase.

pink shaving razor?width=287&height=192&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration by Megan Charles for Her Campus Media

Wearing makeup everyday can cause breakouts

FACT Wearing makeup everyday can cause breakouts but it mainly depends on skin type, ingredients, and skincare routine. Some makeup products can cause acne known as “acne cosmetica” which appears as small rough bumps on the surface of the skin. In some cases these bumps can appear as white heads known as comedones or black heads known as papules which are created from specific products. When wearing makeup be sure to choose carefully. Be cautious of the ingredients you are putting onto your skin because different skin types can react differently to different products.

Wearing sunscreen prevents wrinkles

FACT Sunscreen can protect the skin from many damages caused from the sun. It protects against sunburns, skin cancer, but also can protect against aging. The UV rays from the sun can cause skin to lose elasticity and cause hyperpigmentation that appear as sun spots. Using sunscreen everyday can slow down the process at which the skin ages. The higher the SPF the more protection it has for your skin, as long as it is reapplied consistently.

Retinol is only used for mature skin

MYTH Retinol can used at any age but ideally in your mid 20’s.There are many benefits in using retinol at a young age. Since retinol is a form of vitamin A it can regulate cell growth. It can help the production of collagen and even out skin tone. It can also treat acne and minimize the appearance of wrinkles. Implementing retinol into your daily skincare routine at an early age can help in maintaining a youthful appearance!

Cucumbers helps reduce the appearance of dark circles

MYTH Although cucumbers don’t reduce the appearance of dark circles they can reduce the appearance of puffiness and provide relief to tired eyes. Cold cucumber slices have anti inflammatory properties that reduce the swollen tissues naturally. Unfortunately the appearance of dark circles can be caused from lack of sleep or even genetics.