An Open Letter To My Late Granddad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Losing a grandparent isn’t easy. Actually, let me say it like this, when your grandparent loses their life, it feels like you’ve lost yours too.

I know this feeling all too well, and nothing can ever fix that.

Papa, if I could talk to you right now this is what I would say… You were my best friend, my biggest supporter, and the absolute BEST at magic tricks. You didn’t realize the impact you made on my life which breaks my heart,and  I wish I could go back and prove that to you. When you had a bad day you still made my day better. It was the little things you did, like reward me for good report cards, let me be your caddy when you knew I would wreck the golf cart, or take me for ice cream.

I miss you more and more every day, and sadly some of the memories are starting to fade.  But I’ll never forget your voice, I’ll never forget the smell of the cologne you always wore, and I’ll never forget how proud you were of me.

I am so thankful that God chose me as your granddaughter and I hope I’m making you proud to this day. I remember how you jokingly said I would come home after my first week of college and well, I’m actually a junior now… I know it’s crazy, right?

I still get choked up thinking about you or talking about you, I still wish this was all a dream.

But the one thing I do know is that this isn’t goodbye, it’s just a see you later. I know you’ll be looking over me when I graduate college, get married, and so much more. I can’t wait to see you again. And when I get to heaven I know the first thing you’ll tell me to do is “Taste of it”. I hope you’re looking over me today and every day, I’ll continue to work hard to make you proud.

Love you forever,

Your Granddaughter