An Open Letter To My Childhood Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

First and foremost, I would like to start this off this letter by saying, thank you. Thank you for being not only my friend, but my best friend for the past 10+ years.  You have seen me grow in ways that no one else has, and I have seen you mature into such a beautiful and classy person.

It’s like it was just yesterday, us being 6 years old and running through the sprinklers, or filling up our inflatable pool on hot days. Since the age of 6 we have been going through basically everything together, from our shopping sprees to our late night conversations that soon turned into rants because sometimes college can just get to be a little too much.

It blows my mind to think that we have over 10 years worth of memories. Yes, we have gotten into disagreements but they were always over before we could even realize it. We have gone from playing with our Bratz dolls to asking each other for advice on life, or what to do, where to go and how to get there.

It’s crazy to think that when our amazing friendship began, we didn’t have to worry about social media. I wish every child had memories like we do, whether it’s buying a slip n’ slide and using it all of the time, or playing with our dolls. We would always run out to the ice cream truck whenever it would pass by, and if one of us didn’t have money, we would ask our parents for a little more so that our best friend could get something too. We could sit for hours and hours on end, playing games like Life or Wii, and we would just pretend like we had the ultimate life. But I didn’t have to pretend much at all, because being with my best friend was my favorite thing ever. Each one of our memories will always be cherished.

Not only have we been growing as individuals, but we have also been growing as the dynamic duo we’ve always been. Our friendship is continuously growing stronger, and I am so thankful for that. We have had to overcome some pretty big changes, for instance, graduating high school and going away to college. Going to different high schools was tough but we somehow managed. Then the time for college applications came and unfortunately, our choices were very different. We both got into the schools that we wanted, and I was so proud of you, I still am so proud of you but I can’t help but get upset when I think about how far away you are. But I know that our friendship is strong enough to overcome any obstacle that comes our way, and distance will not affect our friendship at all. You are always just a text or call away and I want you to know, that so am I.

Not being able to see you as often is so strange to me. I’m so used to being with you almost every hour of every day. I get a bittersweet feeling in my stomach when I go through my camera roll and see that you’re not in as many pictures as you used to be in. The only thing that gives me comfort is knowing that we still have tons of memories together and that whenever we get to see each other on breaks, we will create a ton more.

I appreciate our friendship so much because it has always been based on something so innocent. You are a part of me, and our memories will never fade away from my heart. You have helped me become a better person and I hope that I have influenced you in some way as well. I am immensely blessed to have had the chance to grow up with you.

With that being said, I would like to say thank you. Words will never be enough to describe all that you have done for me and how appreciative I am of everything. Thank you for putting up with my temper tantrums. Thank you for being my shoulder to cry on, or for picking up the phone and letting me cry it all out to you. Thank you for showing me things no one ever has. Thank you for showing me the beauty of friendship. Thank you for growing with me. You have truly become one of the most amazing people I have ever come to know. We always tell people that we are best friends or cousins, but you are so much more. No matter the distance, I will always love you, and you will always be my best friend.

With Endless Love,

Your Childhood Best Friend

Itzel Lara

Winthrop '20

Itzel Lara is a junior Social Studies Education major at Winthrop! She has hopes of becoming a high school teacher, and work her way up to teaching at a university! She has been a staff writer for Her Campus Winthrop for 3 years! One of the many reasons why Itzel loves Her Campus is because of the love that everyone has for one another – Her Campus has been a home away from home for her. She is originally from Los Angeles, California and relocated to South Carolina to continue her education. She is absolutely obsessed with giraffes! She loves exploring new places - especially waterfalls! If she's not binge watching something on Netflix then she's probably napping or hanging out with her dog, Jasper! Follow her on instagram (@ItzelCeleste_)! 
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.