Netflix Mood Board: My February Netflix Recommendations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

If you are looking for movies to watch on Netflix, you have reached the right place. These are recommendations for movies that are on Neflix during the month of FEBRUARY. I sorted them based off of genre/mood.

If you are in the mood for movies based on real people or real events I suggest…

The Social Network

SORRY MY PRADA IS AT THE CLEANERS! If you have heard this audio on TikTok, I’m here to inform you that it is from this movie. This movie follows a college-aged Mark Zuckerburg, played by Jesse Eisenberg, as he creates Facebook. Zuckerberg first created a “hot-or-not”-like website to rate the girls at his university (Harvard). The website spread like wildfire around the campus, and then soon around the country. If you are interested in seeing how the Facebook founder lived his college years, I highly recommend this movie. Other notable cast members include Justin Timberlake, Andrew Garfield, Brenda Song, and Armie Hammer.

The Dirt

This movie is a classic Netflix Original. The movie follows Mötley Crüe throughout their career. Viewers will learn about each band member’s backstory and get a feel for what it was like to be a rockstar in the 80’s. The movie tackles heavy subjects such as substance abuse, cancer, and a certain degenerative bone disease. If you enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody or just enjoy learning about bands, I would recommend this movie.

Extremely Wicked Shockingly Evil and vile

This Netflix original is centered around the story of the famous serial killer, Ted Bundy. Zac Efron and Lily Collins star in this movie. The movie explores Ted Bundy’s trial and how Liz, Bundy’s girlfriend, discovers his true nature. If you like true crime you will probably enjoy Efron and Collins’ portrayal of this horrific story.

If you are in the mood for a late-night comedy I suggest…

Bad Teacher

This star-studded cast creates such a ridiculous and entertaining portrayal of middle school teachers. Cameron Diaz plays a teacher who hates her job and quits to marry her rich boyfriend. This does not work out in her favor, so she is forced to return to the school and continue working. This comedy starring Diaz, Jason Segel, and Justin Timberlake will have you wondering about your old middle school teachers and their lives outside of school.

not another teen movie

Possibly the funniest satirical take on teenage movies to ever exist, Not Another Teen Movie is ridiculously funny and stupid. This movie starring Chris Evans and Chyler Leigh is the perfect movie to watch if you just want to numb your brain. It touches on every teenage movie stereotype you could ever think about.

The hangover

This is a classic late-night comedy, so I had to include it on the list. I can’t even describe how hard I laughed during this movie. Just go watch it.

If you want something to sing along with I recommend…

Tick, Tick… Boom!

Andrew Garfield’s musical debut is definitely worth the watch. Lin-Manuel Miranda brings his all (per usual) with this movie. The songs are catchy and will be stuck in your head forever. If you like musicals and/or learning about the history of their creators, definitely give this a watch.

Hairspray

A classic feel-good musical that you can watch with the entire family. With catchy songs and young Zac Efron, this musical is an easy watch and favorite of many.

Annie

This choice is a little older, but still a valid contender for your watch night. This is the perfect movie if you want some nostalgia.

If you are in the mood for some drama you should watch…

Ladybird Interview Questions?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
A24
Marriage Story

ONLY WATCH THIS IF YOU ARE PREPARED TO CRY! That is my offical warning for this film. Performances by Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson will hit you directly in the feels. The story follows their charcters as they naviagte through a messy divorce. This Academy-Award winner is totally worth the watch.

Lady Bird

What a great commentary on the high school to college transition/stage of life. This movie follows a high schooler as she navigates life. This is such a rewatchable movie too.

I’m thinking of ending things

Don’t watch this one if you are not wanting to rethink the entire movie after watching it. I was so confused by the ending and had to look up a video telling me what had happened. I don’t even know how to describe this thriller/drama but it is mind-bending for sure.

If you want a scary movie definitely watch…

The house

A newer Netflix original, but worth the watch. It is a claymation movie but don’t let that discourage you from watching it. The movie follows three generations of people (and animals) who live in the same house. It is definitely one of those movies you may have to watch more than once, but it is so worth it.

The conjuring

A classic horror movie. I actually am a big fan of this movie, simply because the actors do an awesome job with their portrayals of their characters. It starts off as “another white family moves into a haunted house” horror movie, but it is so much more than that. I would recommend this if you liked Paranormal Activity, The Blair Witch Trials, or any horror movie.

Annabelle Creation

This goes along with the Conjuring. The movie is the prequel to the Annabelle series. It introduces us to the backstory of the doll and how it came to be. Would recommend this if you are a fan of Annabelle or the Conjuring.

If you want a feel-good movie definitely go with one of these…

Dumplin’

I love this movie so much. It follows a plus-sized girl (Danielle Macdonald) who lives in the south. She loves Dolly Parton and her mom (Jennifer Aniston) is a pageant queen. I love this movie because of the message it portrays and the soundtrack is stellar (full of Dolly songs).

Soul surfer

This movie is based on the story of Bethany Hamilton, a surfer who lost her arm in a shark attack. This is an inspiring movie for sure. Bethany fights for her passion (surfing) and it is interesting to see how she deals with the loss of her arm.

To all the boys I’ve loved before

This is one of the better movies out of the series. This movie is great for background noise or just for a chill night in. When Lara Jean’s love notes accidentally get sent to all the boys who star in them, her life is changed forever.

I'm Camryn and I'm a senior Special Education major from Lexington, South Carolina! I love chai lattes and enjoy all things fall.