Nancy and Ronald Reagan: America’s Love Story

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

It’s a love story that we all know and a story we are all longing to hold on to after the death of Nancy Reagan on March 6, 2016.

The actor and actress turned president and first lady had a 52 year romance that will go down in history.

The two crossed paths in Hollywood in 1949 when Nancy’s name was mistaken for another actress and Nancy was blacklisted as a guild actress. Ronald, the president of the Screen Actors Guild at the time helped clear up the confusion and the two started dating soon after.

After their March 1952 wedding, the Reagans started a family. Nancy became the stepmother to Ronald’s two children from his previous marriage and she had two children of her own.

Over their 52 year love story, Nancy and Ronald Reagan weathered Hollywood, the White House, four children, an attempted assassination and so much more.

Nancy had said at one point in time that her life hadn’t begun before she married Ronald. It was obvious throughout the years that he felt the same way about her.

The former president once said “I more than love you, I’m not whole without you. You are life itself to me. When you are gone, I’m waiting for you to return so I can start living again.”

The Reagans were the couple that everybody longed to be like. Everyone wanted the same love that the two of them shared.

They honored each other and respected each other and worked every day for their relationship. They didn’t take a single day for granted.

Once Ronald became sick with Alzheimer’s, Nancy’s love for him only appeared to grow stronger. She cared for him in every way she knew how and America’s hearts broke with hers when the former president passed away in 2004.

Now, 12 years later, Nancy Reagan has been reunited with her Ronnie.

May you both rest in peace and thank you for giving America a love story to remember.

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.