My Opinion on Disney Dreamlight Valley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Have you ever wondered what might happen if Animal Crossing and Disney combined themselves into one video game? I have the answer for you and that answer is called Disney Dreamlight Valley. The game came out officially on September 6th 2022 by the company called Gameloft. This game can be played on the Nintendo Switch, Playstation 4 and Xbox One just to name a few.

When you first start playing the game your character goes back to a house that they used to visit a lot during their childhood (grandparents house? That is unclear as of right now). They are also shown somethings from their past, that this is a place they used to visit when they were little and is a great source of magic and wonder is felt in this place by your character. Then your character falls asleep. When they wake up you are introduced to a very thorny version of Disney World or that is what it seems like. Once you get your bearings you are introduced to your mentor and guide, who happens to be Merlin the Wizard from “The Sword and The Stone” the Disney movie that is about the myth of King Arthur. Merlin puts you on the path of cleaning up the village of the thorns with this mysterious magic that your character seems to posses. Along the way you learn about the curse that caused these nasty thorns called The Forgetting. It has trapped some characters in their houses or other worlds or other parts of Dreamlight Valley. So basically this curse has consumed everything and everyone in the village. The forgetting has also gotten rid or trapped the old ruler of Dreamlight Valley. Some of the big questions in the game is did the ruler leave because of this curse? Did they do this curse? or Are they trapped in the curse like the rest of the other characters?

After that Merlin ends up giving you quests until you end up unlocking a bunch of other Disney characters. You will also have quests for them once you reach a certain friendship level with them. Some of the characters that you will run into in this game are Merlin, Mickey Mouse, Kristoff, Moana, Maui and Remi. The more you progress into the game the more storylines, quests, and characters you will unlock.

Through out the game you will meet both hero and villains characters from the Disney movies that we all love. You will also be able to upgrade your house and place other characters houses where you think they should be. One of my favorite things about this game is that you can customize your character and dress them up in different characters outfits and in Disney merchandise as if you were visiting the Disney parks.

When thinking about this game overall I have to say that it is one of the best video games next to Lego Harry Potter that I have played in a long time. The special effects make me feel as if I’ve just stepped into The Magic Kingdom at Disney World for a visit. So if you are a Disney fan with a gaming console I would definitely suggest investing in this game.

Elaina Jamrog

Winthrop '24

I am a writer of poetry, fiction, and I write reviews