element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Motivation to Get Through the Rest of the Semester: Christmas Break is Coming Soon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

College is wonderful and I know we’re all excited to be here, but let’s be real–right now is about the time of the semester where everyone is burnt out on school work and just wants to sleep and watch Netflix.

Collegiettes, I get it! I’m there right now, but I have some good news…after exams comes winter break. I absolutely LOVE Christmas and I can’t wait to spend Christmas with my family, and I know that you all can’t wait to celebrate Christmas, Hanukah, and other holidays with your families, too!

So, when I get stressed out because of school work, I look at my calendar and count down the days until break! Not only that, but I love to think of all the traditions and fun things to come as motivation to get through the rest of the semester, and maybe sharing this motivation will help you keep going until the holidays, too! 

Peppermint Mocha at Starbucks

I mean who isn’t excited about that?!

Getting to sleep in your own bed

I love being at school, but when I get to sleep in a full size bed instead of an extra-long twin, I realize how much I miss it!

Grandma’s homemade turkey and dressing

School food isn’t that bad, but nothing beats Grandma’s cooking, am I right?!

Presents

Who doesn’t love getting and giving gifts?

Singing Christmas carols

I’m a singer, and I love Christmas! So basically the day after Halloween, you can already hear me singing anything from traditional Christmas hymns from “O Holy Night” to “Cold December Night” by Michael Buble

Hearing the fire crackle in the fireplace

There’s just something about being cuddled up by the fire that feels like Christmas!

Decorating

From decorating the tree to hanging the stockings, decorating the Christmas tree is one of my favorite traditions!

Christmas Movies

My favorites are ‘It’s a Wonderful Life,’ ‘How the Grinch Stole Christmas,’ ‘Charlie Brown’s Christmas,’ and ‘The Nativity.’ My whole family piles up on the couch to watch all of these; it’s a tradition! I’m sure your family has its favorite movies, and it will feel like when you were a kid to watch them together!

Reading The Christmas Story

A favorite family tradition of mine is that every Christmas morning before we open presents, my dad reads aloud the story of Christmas from the Bible in Luke 2.

Spending time with all of your family

I can’t wait to come home to huge gatherings of family! Being with my friends at school is great, but I miss my parents, grandparents, and cousins! I can’t wait to spend my break with my huge family!

We’ve got a little while until winter break, but thinking about these little things keeps me going until then! I can’t wait until Christmas with my family and all of our little traditions! Let your traditions and favorite things motivate you to make it through the rest of the semester, Collegiettes! Just a few more weeks!

Allison is a sophomore at Winthrop University where she majors in English and has a concentration in Secondary Education. On campus, Allison is very involved-she is an Honors student, Admissions Ambassador, and a member of Her Campus Winthrop, Baptist Collegiate Ministry, and Ratio Christi. Allison loves her family and friends very much, and tries to spread the love of Jesus wherever she goes. In her free time, Allison loves to travel (Paris, France is her favorite!), read classics like Pride and Prejudice, and drink iced coffee while binge-watching New Girl on Netflix. Follow her on Instagram to see her attempts to be artistic @allisondsnipes
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.