Meet TONIGHT’S Big Man on Campus Contestants!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Big Man on Campus is an annual male pageant put on by Winthrop’s Lambda Sigma chapter of Delta Zeta Sorority to raise money for their philanthropy, the Starkey Hearing Foundation. Participants compete in the pageant that consists of a casual round, formal round, talent round and question/answer round. After the question portion, participants are auctioned off in support of Delta Zeta’s National philanthropy.

Name: Zyhorie Pauling

Year: Junior

Major: Political Science

Minor: History

Hometown: Columbia, SC

What is your campus involvement?

I was an RA in Thomson Hall last year, I ran for Student Body Vice President and I am a member of the Gentlemen’s League and S.H.I.E.L.D.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I am in college, so I don’t have a lot of free time (laughs.) When I do have time, I like to go for long walks on the beach at sunset.

What has been the highlight of your time at Winthrop so far?

Running for Student Body Vice President. Although I did not win, it was a great experience. I had more of a reason to talk and connect with the students on campus and I really enjoyed being able to do that.  

What are some of your favorite things about Winthrop?

I like going to the open mic nights and playing basketball in the gym.

Why should you be this year’s Big Man on Campus?

I have a big heart and love puppies.

—————————————————————————————————————————-

Name: Peyton Richburg

Year: Junior

Major: Middle Level Education

Hometown: Irmo, SC

In my spare time I like to play basketball, workout, stay fit, read and write poetry. I particularly like to read novels to expand my knowledge.

What is your campus involvement?

I am involved in the Call Me Mister Program, Gentlemen’s League and Council of Student Leaders. I was an Orientation Leader and currently I am an RA.

I would have to say the highlight of my Winthrop career so far would have to be getting involved. My freshman year, I wasn’t involved a lot. But this last year I really got involved on campus which helped me open up, grow as a leader and meet new people that I would have never met.

I should be Big Man on Campus because not only am I ambitious smart, funny, cute, but also I feel like I have a good talent in my poetry. I am a confident young man, and I think that can be used and that is why I should be Big Man on Campus.

Name: Joey Szeman

Year: Sophomore

Major: Finance, but he’s shopping around

Hometown: Fort Mill, SC

What is your campus involvement?

I am a brother of Pi Kappa Phi.

I like to make music in my spare time.

The highlight of my college experience is whatever moment I’m living right now, because I’m loving this campus more and more everyday.

The West Center but Chick-Fil-A will take the crown soon.

Because I think Big Man isn’t just a title that you earn but it’s also one that you grow into. I definitely have a lot of growing to do, which is why I think I can do it justice

Name: Mi’Kel McDaniel  

Year: Junior

Major: Human Resource Management

Minor: Health Care Management

Hometown: Bishopville, SC

What is your past campus involvement?

I’m apart of  NAACP, the Economic Empowerment Committee, and the Secretary of my chapter (Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc.).

I like to hang out with my friends and fraternity brothers, go to the mall, shop and anything fun.

Going Greek.

I feel like I can represent the people on campus that aren’t seen much. I’m kind of quiet and I stay to myself so I could represent people like that who are on campus.

Name: Preston Elwell

Year: Senior

Major: Spanish

Minor: Political Science

Hometown: Huntington, West Virginia

What is your past campus involvement?

Pi Kappa Alpha (executive board as treasurer), and front row at all home basketball games.

I like to watch or play sports, specifically basketball.

Joining Pike.

My favorite thing is definitely the campus community, when I came here in high school and visited it was probably the friendliest place I’ve ever been, and it’s about the same five years later.

My combination of my talent, my professional appearance, and my outgoing personality definitely contributes to winning this competition.

Name: Eric D’Angelo

Year: Junior

Major: Business Administration

Minor: Management

Hometown: Myrtle Beach, SC

What is your campus involvement?

I am a member of Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity.

I like to go to the gym. As a personal trainer, I like to help people learn their way around. I show people the equipment and help them improve themselves. I also play guitar; I was in a band in Myrtle Beach and we got to play at the House of Blues

Definitely a highlight has been improving myself. I came into Winthrop as a Exercise Science major but then I switched to Business. Also a highlight has been joining Pi Kappa Alpha. That has really helped me and brought out my social side. I grew up with high functioning autism so I was a very to myself person but now it’s a lot better.

I want to be Big Man on Campus because I would love to be a representative of all of the gentlemen on campus and I will fulfill my role as best as I can.

Name: Michael Williams

Major: Theater Performance and Sociology

Hometown: Camden, NJ

What is your campus involvement?

I am the current president of Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity and I am an avid member of RUF.

I do a lot of singing in the shower, where I cannot be heard.

The highlight of my time at Winthrop was performing in one of this past spring’s  one-act show. I had a great time with all of my cast mates and it was just a fun time.  

I should be be Big Man on Campus because when I look around at the competition, I don’t see anyone else worthy of the title.

Come support these men tonight at 8pm in Tillman Auditorium! It’s a show you do not want to miss!

Ta'Niss Robinson is a junior Psychology major with a Human Resource Management minor who decided to try her hand at writing. When she is not doing homework, she can be found reading, dancing, laughing with her friends and family and enjoying the little things in life. One of her favorite quotes is "I have learned that I still have a lot to learn" by Maya Angelou.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.