Meet Michelle: Healing In Arts Enthusiast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Meet Michelle, who is currently battling illness and indulges in healing in the arts on her road to recovery.

Michelle is involved with the ENGL 328 class taught by Dr. Martin where her class engulfs on healing using poetry, painting, drawing, movement, and other forms of expressive arts.

I had the privilege to take this course this semester and meet Michelle. For privacy purposes I am nto including pictures of Michelle, but i high encourage you all to read about her experience with healing in the arts and trying it out for yourselves!

Full Name: Edele Michelle Rodriguez

Where are you from?

Well, i grew up kind of all over. I went back and forth from Europe to America but right now I live in Rock Hill, SC. 

What is a normal day like for you?

Since I have become ill my day consists of trying to work hard with nutrition. Juicing, prepping and exercise are the bulk of my week but mostly I just try and be mindful all throughout the day and bear living each day one at a time. Chemo is part of my day sometimes so I just try and take it easy while still trying to be mindful of my day as a process. I think everyone should try thinking about being present in each day and live in the moment. 

How did you get into healing in the arts?

A former ballet teacher of mine suggested I get in touch with Mary Martin at Winthrop and get to know her. We then decided that I would be a subject to her students to help demonstrate and teach about how healing in the arts can affect people. She used to do home visits with me but now that I can move around I come to the classroom during the semester a few times. 

What is your definition of healing in the arts?

I find the arts as a whole healing for anyone, whether you are the participant or the audience. Whatever form comes through you, that process heals because of the way you make yourself involved. It’s an identifier and unifier.

What is your favorite form of healing using art?

The one that I enjoy the most is movement. It’s such a primal thing, no words just feeling. I love just letting go. I get the most out of writing though. It gives solidity and is more hard hitting than movement. You can just say what you want to say and how you feel. 

What advice do you have for someone who can’t seem to let loose and try healing in the arts?

Oh my goodness. The best thing you can do in your healing journey is to just let go. Stop thinking. Let the feeling just come through you. Drop your ego and being present in your motions helps tell you what you are supposed to do and how you should feel. Just dance, relax, breathe, and let it happen.

For more information of what healing in the arts consists of check out, GoodTherapy.org

Paris Enthusiast. Macaron Lover. Lacrosse Player. Avid Photo Taker. Social Media Junkie. Travel Bug. ​ Born in Dallas Texas, but raised in the cities of West Chester, Pennsylvania, and Greenville, South Carolina. Ann Marie is a twenty-one year old student athlete living in Rock Hill, South Carolina where she attends Winthrop University as a mass communication major.  ​Currently, she is the Editor-in Chief, Campus Coorespondant and one of the social media directors of her college's Her Campus chapter where she edits articles, runs her chapter, and assists in running the Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, and Pinterest page. She also helps write articles with a team of 50+ writers who put out content daily. On top of Her Campus Winthrop and classes, Ann Marie plays on the Women's Lacrosse Team at Winthrop at the Division 1 level. Over the years, Ann Marie has learned the value of hard work, developed skills of teamwork, as well as expanded her knowledge marketing, writing, editing, publishing, social media and communication skills, which will give her the ability to be successful in any field.  Outside of her busy lifestyle, she enjoys being home with her family, dogs, and twin. On the weekends she likes to plan adventures with her friends and is on the ultimate search for America's best pistachio macaron, and dreams about going back to Paris, France and eat all the baguettes France has. Her dream is to inspire people and spread positivity while becoming a travel blogger taking pictures of her adventures and sharing them with the world. Ann Marie aspires to be like Blair Waldorf and can't live without her phone, french fries, Demi Lovato music, Gossip Girl, and of course chicken nuggets.