brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

Male Beauty Gurus That Should Be On Your Radar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

The YouTube beauty community has always been dominated by women, and for the longest time it has only been acceptable for women to wear make up, unless the man was a drag queen. With today’s social media rise, male make up gurus are gaining traction and being showcased on Instagram by famous makeup brands such as Kyliecosmetics, Ofra Cosmetics, NYX Cosmetics, Artist Couture and more. 

Men’s make up is an amazing movement that has taken YouTube and Instagram by storm. “Boy makeup”, not to be confused with drag queens (men dressing like women for entertainment and competition,) is a term dubbed for men who do every day or glam make up on YouTube. Here are some of them that should be on everyone’s radar:

MannyMua

Manny is a beauty guru based out of California who began his career in July of 2014. He has a make and beauty channel that post tutorials, reviews, collaborations with other Youtubers, and more. His everyday glam look tutorials will slay you and his Ofra lipsticks and Makeup Geek palette will empty your wallet. Manny has over 1.5 million subscribers.

Patrick Starrr

Patrick is from Florida and originally worked for MAC, where he began building his beauty career. He posts tutorials, comedy, collaborations, and occasional makeup tutorials on another Youtuber or model. He has over 1.5 million subscribers on YouTube, and is also best friends with Manny Mua.

Bretman Rock

Bretman is a high school student from Hawaii who is taking the internet by storm. His career took off on Vine with his mini make up tutorials and has moved to Instagram. His fast rise to fame is making him a favorite in the beauty community and his Insta videos make everyone laugh. Bretman has over 6 million followers on Instagram.

Jeffree Star

Jeffree has been in the game a long time, starting out with a music career and slowly building his cosmetics brand. You have probably seen his highlighters or liquid lipsticks taking the internet by storm. He is based out of Calabasas, California.

There are many more male makeup gurus that are circulating around YouTube and Instagram, and these men will surely continue slaying the beauty world. As they continue to slay, they are also blazing the trail to more acceptance for men to wear makeup as freely as women. After all, like Patrick Starrr says: “Makeup is a one size fits all”.

Guru’s Social Media Handles: 

MannyMua Insta: @Mannymua733, Twitter and SnapChat: Mannymua

Patrick Starrr Insta, Twitter, and SnapChat: @Patrickstarrr

Bretman Rock’s Insta, Twitter, and SnapChat: @bretmanrock

Jeffree Star Insta and Twitter: @jeffreestar and SnapChat: jeffreedahmer

James Charles insta: jcharlesbeauty

Angel Merino insta: mac_daddy

Katherine “Kat” is a freshman Early Childhood Education major, and a proud mother of two cats (Zena and Queen Bey). She loves cats and makeup; you will most likely find her at Ulta or Target searching for new lipsticks and eyeshadows to spend all her money on. Kat also loves reading and constantly has her iBooks open ready to read when the moment arises. Follow her on twittert: @katattack17.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.