The Madness Has Begun – Winthrop vs. Butler in the First Round of The NCAA Tournament

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Winthrop University 

As most of you probably already know, the Winthrop Eagles are currently in Milwaulkee, Wisconsin preparing for the NCAA March Madness tournament that starts this Thursday, March 16th. 

Winthrop Athletics Twitter

On Selection Sunday, Winthrop found out that they are a 13 seed and will face 4 seed Butler in the first round of the tournament. 

While it won’t be easy, some believe Winthrop could be this year’s Cinderella in the NCAA tournament. Every year, lower seeds upset higher seeds. Maybe I’m biased (I’m totally biased) but I think Winthrop could be one of those teams–and I’m not the only one who thinks that! 

Sources such as “Bleacher Report” and “SB Nation” predict a potential Winthrop upset in the first round. Even “NCAA.com” doesn’t count us out. 

Don’t get it wrong, Butler is good. Butler is even so good, it’s responsible for handing last years March Madness winner and current 1 seed, Villanova, over half of their loses this season.

They’re a really good team, but so are we. 

We’re coming off an 8 game winning streak and are being led by Keon Johnson, who is just one of four players appearing in the tournament this year who average over 20 points per game. 

This will be fun Eagle fans!

So, be sure to tune in on Thursday, March 16 on TNT at 1:30 to watch our boys take on Butler. If you’re in town, Rock Hill’s Luke’s Bar and Grill and The Roasting Company will be hosting viewing parties!

Make sure to show your support! The boys need us! 

Winthrop University

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.