This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

When it gets to the time of the year when leaves start to turn vibrant shades of orange, red, and yellow, and Halloween is just around the corner (with Thanksgiving following very shortly) one of the things I look forward to the most is when my mum makes loaves of pumpkin bread. Pumpkin bread is somewhat like pumpkin pie, if pumpkin pie were made and then immediately baked into a bread-textured substance. It is one of the most delicious foods my mum makes, and I can only deem it autumn once I have had a slice of pumpkin bread. I know that the quantity of loaves that this recipe makes is staggering (3 loaves!? What will I do with them all?!) but rest assured, they freeze well, and once people get a taste of these pumpkin loaves, you won’t even have to freeze them – you’ll end up having to make more!

letter box with boo! on it and small pumpkins
Photo by Jillian Morkan from Pexels

Pumpkin Bread Recipe

Ingredients

3 cups canned pumpkin puree

1 ½ cups vegetable oil

4 cups white sugar

6 eggs

4 ¾ cups all-purpose flour

1 ½ teaspoons baking powder

1 ½ teaspoons baking soda

1 ½ teaspoons salt

1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 ½ teaspoons ground nutmeg

1 ½ teaspoons ground cloves

(Optional) 1 ½ cups chocolate chip cookies 

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour three 9×5 inch loaf pans. 

2. In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin, oil, sugar, and eggs. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves; stir into the pumpkin mixture until well blended. Divide the batter evenly between the loaf pans.

3. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. The top of the loaf should spring back when lightly pressed. 

pumpkins
Photo by Ylanite Koppens from Pexels

Sophie Harvey is a Fine Art major at Winthrop University with a concentration in Photography. She loves Harry Potter, dogs, funky art, and her boyfriend more than anything!. Her favorite color is yellow, and if she had to choose one food to eat for the rest of her life, it would be hibachi.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.