Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Long-Term and Long-Distance: What it Takes to Be Committed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Love.

Did someone come to mind when reading that word? Relationships are filled with love – but that is certainly not all that being with a partner entails. There are always going to be ups and downs, no matter how much love you share with your significant other. Being with someone for a long time can be hard – especially if you spend a lot of the time miles and miles away from each other.

What it comes down to is, can you work through the rainy days maturely or will you walk away?

Don’t let the love die

Just because you already have someone to call yours doesn’t mean that you should stop doing the little things that you once did to impress them before you had them. Continue to flirt with them and compliment them every day. Don’t pass over the sweet morning texts and random small gifts. Surprise them every once in a while with a romantic gesture and remember to say those three words: “I love you.”

Dating someone for a while doesn’t mean that you should stop showing affection. Your partner will slowly but surely start to feel unloved by you if you start treating them like any other person in your life. They are called your significant other for a reason. They deserve to be treated that way! Show them that they are important to you, nonstop.

True love doesn’t have a happy ending because it doesn’t have any ending.

Unknown

Knowing they’re your person

99.9% of the time, when young people start seeing each other, they do not know the other as well as they may think they do. Most of the time, if not all of the time, it is not until a good bit into the relationship that true colors start to show. Take it from me – I have been with my boyfriend for over four years now and I don’t think it was until 2+ years in that I felt like we really started to connect on a deeper level. The best advice that I could give you when it comes to knowing that someone is your soulmate: when you know, you just know.

Do they make you feel like you’re worthy? Can you laugh and have a good time together? Are you motivated by them to be the best version of yourself? Are you not only dating, but also best friends? If the answer to any of these questions is “no,” I regret to say that they may not be your person.

You deserve someone who makes you truly happy and shows you that you matter every single day, in however many different ways you and your partner do that. This goes both ways, too – treat them how you want them to treat you. As they say, respect is also earned, not just given.

Making the Most of It

Being apart from your significant other is anything but easy – especially if you’re away from each other for a long period of time. However, this does not need to be a halt for you and your person. Couples that truly love each other can keep going no matter how many miles are between them. Besides keeping your love alive and strong, there are more ways to deal with distance in a healthy way. You can:

• Call and video chat with each other at least four or five times each week.
  • Send random, sweet messages every so often to your partner.
  • Surprise them by sending them a bouquet (I once sent my boyfriend a bouquet of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups).
  • Spend time keeping busy with school, your job, hobbies, extracurriculars, and friends.
  • Trust, trust, TRUST!

These are just a few simple ways that are successful in staying positive during your time apart. There will be hard times, and that is absolutely okay. Again, can you work through the hard times together as adults?

Remember that you are not alone and that if it is meant to be, it will be! You and your person got this.

Emma Oresic

Winthrop '24

Hi everyone! My name is Emma Oresic and I am a junior Elementary Education major at WU. Some of my favorite pastimes are painting, watching Netflix, and reading and writing.