timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

I compare myself to pretty much everyone else around me okay? I admitted it. I know you are guilty of it too.

When I look around at everyone else a lot of the time I feel like I am falling behind. I look at the other girls around me and think that I haven’t accomplished as much as her or I don’t have my life together like her. It’s very frustrating when it seems like all of your friends are getting engaged and you can barely get a guy to talk to you. It’s easy to get discouraged when all of your friends are getting their dream jobs and you still don’t know what you want to do with your degree. 

It took a lot of soul searching for me to realize that it’s okay if the timeline of my life does not match up with another girls. Comparing my timeline does not help me live in the moment. When we start wanting our timelines to look like that of someone is when we start to force things. We will try and force a relationship because we think that we have to be in one because all of are friends are. We can end up settling for a job that we don’t actually want just so we can say that we found a job too. It is so hard for us to accept the place we are at in our lives. We need to accept that wherever we are is where we are in our lives right now and that is not a bad thing.

We are exactly where we are supposed to be in our lives whether we realize it or not. 

It’s okay to move at your own pace. This is the timeline of your life, not hers.

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.