The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Finding a new book to read can always feel frustrating and daunting because there are so many decisions that go into picking which book to read next. You must ask yourself which genre you want to delve into and what topic you want to read about. Depending on the topic, you might even begin asking questions concerning the authors of the books. 

Recently, the LGBTQ+ community has been apparent in various aspects of media. Although it may seem that this community is just recently being highlighted in literature, it is necessary we look back at older pieces of literature that started this conversation. 

1. Sister Outsider by Audre Lorde

This piece of literature is a collection of essays that were written during the 1970’s and 1980’s. These essays discuss societies views on gender and those identifying with a specific gender. A few personal favorite essays from this collection are “Uses of the Erotic: The Erotic as Power”, “The Transformation of Silence into Language and Action” and “Sexism: An American Disease in Black Face”. These essays, among the others in Sister Outsider, teaches the reader about the LGBTQ+ community within the African American community, while also highlighting other aspects of how these communities are viewed by society as a whole.

1. Zami: A New Spelling of My Name by Audre Lorde

Another piece by Audre Lorde tells the story of Lorde’s life from childhood into adulthood and highlights the various restrictions she experiences by society and the people around her. Growing up as a black lesbian, Lorde has to learn to navigate through life and become comfortable with her sexuality. This piece focuses on identity, societal restrictions, and gender roles. 

1. The Color Purple by Alice Walker 

In is novel by Alice Walker, the main character Celie, is surrounded by bigotry and abuse throughout her childhood and into adulthood. As a result of the constant abuse, she finds companionship with a woman named Shug. These two women begin their relationship even though homosexuality is not accepted by society as the book is set in the early 1900’s to 1949. 

1.  Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

In this novel published in 2000, Eugenides highlights the life of a person searching for their identity from childhood to adulthood. The main character, Cal Stephanides, was born biologically male and had a micropenis. As a result, the parents decided to raise their child as a female because they believed it would alleviate any embarrassment their child may experience. However, as the child enters adolescence, they begin to question their “condition” as they have not endured the regular experiences of what society calls a “normal” teenage girl. As the novel progresses, Cal pushes themself to find their identity through participating in various relationships despite the opinions of their parents and society. 

Of course, there are various other novels that are centered around the LGBTQ+ community. If this genre is one that sparks interest, but you do not know where to start to find one of these books, doing a quick google is the best place to start. Asking a librarian or an employee at a bookstore is also a great way to find your next read. Happy reading!

Sam Hyatt

Winthrop '23

Hi! My name is Sam and I am a graduate student at Winthrop University. I am currently in the MA in English program, and I am working towards one day being an English professor. I love reading and writing. Right now, my favorite book is Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides and Later by Stephen King. When it comes to writing, I love journaling for myself, but also writing about difficult topics that may be controversial. However, I believe that there are certain subjects that need to be talked about and I do not mind stepping into that uncomfortable space. I'm excited to be writing for Her Campus and making new friends and connections with other student writers! "When I dare to be powerful, to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid." – Audre Lorde