A Letter To My Sorority Sister Who Found A New Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

To my sorority sister, who found a new love…

Thank You.

Thank you for late night drives with tears streaming down our faces. Thank you for not judging me when I’ve eaten Taco Bell three times this week. Thank you for tracking my location whenever I didn’t feel safe. Thank you for being my family when my family is hours away.

At the age of 20 I never thought I would find my soulmate, but here she was running home on bid night with letters on her chest. I didn’t know her name yet, but everyone knew we were perfect for each other. You were the first thing I could ever call mine. I watched you become such an amazing and powerful woman, who makes me proud every day. You know my favorite snacks, my order at Taco Bell, my type of guys and everything about me. You have made my experience joining a sorority so worth it.

However, you also worry me. With every late night phone call, my heart stops with the thought of something bad happening. The thought of a guy breaking your heart terrifies me because I’m not sure if I have enough glue to put it back together. The fear that you won’t truly know how much I love you and will always be there for you. Especially the jealousy of you finding someone new to love and simply forgetting about me.

I feel almost like a villain in a kid’s movie with a glowing green light shining behind me. I want you to just be mine, but I know that I have to share. Your love is so overwhelming that I want to keep it all for myself. No matter how bad my day may be, you are always able to put a smile on my face. But, I know that time is precious and limited. I want you to find someone so infatuated with your being that you never question how much you’re loved. I’m learning that I don’t always need to be the person to wipe your tears but to rather pass the box of tissues.

To the new person wiping her tears…

Please remember that she is powerful with a heart of glass. When you wipe her tears away watch out for her eyebrows (she worked hard on them). When she is sad, she loves to be cuddled and the tighter you squeeze the more love she feels. Just like me, Taco Bell and Chinese food will always make her happy. I am giving you one of the greatest gift I have ever received and a large piece of my heart; please be careful.

Just remember I’m always here… for both of you. 

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.