Anatomy of Aesthetic edgetotedge hero 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Anatomy of Aesthetic edgetotedge hero 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Learning my Own Personal Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

For most of our lives we have all been experimenting with our personal style. From elementary up to high school and still currently in college I get made fun of for what I wear. Honestly it has slowed me down from making my own style progress but it hasn’t stopped me. Being in college has made my desire to curate my style speed up, especially now that I feel confident in how I look. During senior year of high school I knew I didn’t feel confident in how I looked, so I decided to change it. I have had relaxed hair all the way up until senior year then I decided to cut it all off and go natural.

Doing that in high school where I had known almost everyone since elementary made me nervous to do the big chop but I did it anyways. I’m not going to lie it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Then I decided to go natural for 2 years and that wasn’t working for me either so now here I am with an inch of hair that gets cut whenever I please and dyed any color I desire. There are sayings out there about its what’s on the inside that matters but I wanted my outsides to match my insides and now, they do. In a span of 2 years I have gotten piercings, tattoos, dyed and cut my hair more colors than I can count and I am having the time of my life. I feel like now I can focus on my personal clothing style because I can see myself wearing and doing anything I want when I look in the mirror. Best believe that constantly changing my look has created conversation, both good and bad. I’ve heard “Why did you cut off all your pretty hair?” or “Why did you get all those tattoos and piercings?” I literally just have ear and nose piercings and 3 tattoos, all that cannot be seen unless I roll up my sleeves or wear shorts. But honestly it doesn’t bother me anymore because I love how I look; I think it’s because I have changed from what people know me as.

Currently working on my personal style has had some hit and miss outfits but it comes with discovery. I have been buying different articles of clothing and crocheting them figuring out what I think looks the most like how I feel that day. Being happy is one of my biggest priorities now and coming up with outfits and wearing them makes me happy. Everyday isn’t a good outfit day especially when I find out certain clothes are just not my style. Trial and error though, which is something fun to look back at. With all that being said, I recommend wearing whatever you want however you want because who knows you better than yourself? Like Dr.Seuss said “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than You.”

Jade Anderson

Winthrop '24

Hi I'm Jade Anderson and I am an Environmental Studies Major with a Minor in Sustainability. I enjoy crocheting, gardening, and art! I joined Her Campus to make friends and write about topics that spark my interest.