Kat Yoffie: Newly Elected Chi Omega President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Name: Kat Yoffie

Hometown: Hollywood, Florida

Major: English and Political Science 

1. What organizations/clubs are you in on campus?

I am a tutor at the ASC, a member of the order or omega, fraternal conduct board, Winthrop honors association, and the president of the college republicans.

2. How do you feel about being involved?

Being involved has made my time at Winthrop so rewarding. I am a commuter and I know that if I had not gotten involved so early on, I would probably not enjoy my college years as much as I have.

3. What would you say to someone if they want to get involved, but don’t know how to?

I would say the two most cliche things that anyone can say– but they are so accurate. I would get out of your comfort zone first. If I had never gone out of my comfort zone, I would have never gone greek or tried anything new. Secondly, I would recommend following a passion of yours. If you feel passionately about something, find an organization (or make one) that is geared towards that passion. You can never go wrong pursuing your passion in life.

4. What is your position in the sorority, Chi Omega?

I am the newly elected President!

5. When did you decide you wanted to be in a sorority?

I decided to go through formal recruitment in November of my freshman year. I never thought I would be the type to join a sorority but as I got to know more members of the Greek community (many of whom said the same thing) I knew that Greek life at Winthrop was very different than what you see in movies and I wanted to give it a shot. It was the best decision I have ever made.

6. When did you decide you wanted to hold a high position within the sorority? Have you always wanted to be President?

I knew that I wanted to hold a position shortly after I joined. Learning all of Chi Omega’s values and seeing the impact it made on my life made me want to be able to lead my chapter and help give that experience to other sisters. However, it wasn’t until part way through my term as vice president that I decided I would like the opportunity to be president. Working under our past president, Katie Barreto inspired me to want to lead as effectively and gracefully as she did.

7. What are your hopes for the chapter now that you’re President?

I hope that I can continue the pattern our past presidents have set by being an effective and caring leader, helping our chapter to continue to grow and flourish. Additionally, I want to leave a lasting impact on my chapter but on my university as a whole.

8. What movie have you seen over and over again?

Legally Blonde! Law school is my next stop and Elle Woods is basically my spirit animal.

9. What’s your favorite ice cream flavor? 

Ice cream is my weakness so this is tough but I would probably have to pick mint chocolate chip!

Emily Murphy has been with Her Campus Media since 2018, and is currently the Branded Content Associate. She was the Campus Correspondent and Editor/President at her chapter at Winthrop University for four years, but has had a passion for all things writing since she was young. When she's not scribbling ideas down for her next branded article, she's watching reruns of Seinfeld while scrolling Pinterest for apartment inspo. Follow her on Instagram at @emilysmurfy