clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Justin Reschard Johnson: Senior Dance Choreographer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Name: Justin Reschard Johnson

Major: Dance

Hometown: Winnsboro, SC

Class: Senior

What is your role in this year’s dance showcase?

– This year, I am choreographing a piece for the Senior Choreography Showcase.

Have you ever choreographed your own piece? If so, what are some of the processes that go into choreographing your piece?

– I have choreographed many times before. Honestly, the process for each piece I choreograph depends on the event or reason I am making the dance. If it is something recreational, I tend to take my time. For more formal events such as this, I set deadlines and times for process.

Do you have any routines that you follow before dancing?

– Always a good warm up! Readying the body is a must!

How do you feel about the department showcasing your piece?

– I am very excited to have my work showcased for all to see!

A lot of people express different emotions that they feel when on stage, what are some of the things you feel when you are performing?

– I feel energized… and almost transcendent when I’m performing. My mind kind of leaves my body and I allow my body to do what it has been training to do.

What are some of the things that you are looking forward to?

– I am looking forward to seeing my other colleagues’ pieces!

As a dance major, what are some pieces of advice that you have to give?

– I would advise any and every one to stay active and become aware of their bodies and its potential. We only get one body.

What is the one thing you love the most about dancing?

– Dance is so subjective. It can be what you want it to be.

If you could have any famous performer, be a part of your showcase, which would, you choose?

– I would love for Tinashe to be a part of the showcase! She is my favorite performer!

Justin, good luck during this year’s showcase! We’re sure that the piece you choreograph will be absolutely amazing, and we can’t wait to see it!

Itzel Lara

Winthrop '20

Itzel Lara is a junior Social Studies Education major at Winthrop! She has hopes of becoming a high school teacher, and work her way up to teaching at a university! She has been a staff writer for Her Campus Winthrop for 3 years! One of the many reasons why Itzel loves Her Campus is because of the love that everyone has for one another – Her Campus has been a home away from home for her. She is originally from Los Angeles, California and relocated to South Carolina to continue her education. She is absolutely obsessed with giraffes! She loves exploring new places - especially waterfalls! If she's not binge watching something on Netflix then she's probably napping or hanging out with her dog, Jasper! Follow her on instagram (@ItzelCeleste_)! 
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.