Janay Reece: 2016 Homecoming Queen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Name: Janay Reece

Major: Mass Communication

Hometown: Baltimore, MD raised in Charlotte, NC

What inspired you to run for Homecoming Queen?

Definitely the people at Winthrop. I was also inspired by the opportunities I would get to serve the WInthrop community even more than I alread have, as well as the previous Homecoming queens who have done amazing things. The campus also inspired me because they showed me that I can be the best person that I can be for them.

Can you describe the feeling you got when they said your name?

Honestly I was stunned! The women that were running for Homecoming Queen were all phenomenal and they all love Winthrop just as much as I do and I was stunning. I stood there for a second and they were like “Okay Janay come get the crown!” It’s just too unreal. I was really shocked.

Why did you choose Winthrop?

When I visited the university in high school, I got the feeling that this is the place where I’m supossed to be. I knew that Winthrop was the place for me. It’s the perfect size – the class sizes are perfect, they have a great Mass Communication department which is very hands on and the school is very small and transparent with their students. Winthrop has helped me grow and has helped me be a better person than what I was before.

What’s your favorite thing about Winthrop?

Definitely the people. I really adore them. I love that I can walk down Scholar’s Walk and I’m able to see people smile and say hi. It’s great because I actually know who they are! 

What are your plans after graduation?

I definitely want to work for the program where I did my internship this summer in Washington D.C. and I want to continue working in the field of communciations and continue working with other people and one day become a reporter, producer and then I want to go into marketing for broadcasting.

What is one piece of advice you have for every college woman?

Don’t be afriad to be who you are. There are a lot of people who will try to be nasty or petty or be mean but don’t let that get you down. Show your true colors and show people the beautiful young woman that you are. Keep smiling and keep your head up. Look at yourself in the mirror and say “I am who I am and I am the beautiful person for who I am.” Tell yourself that every day. 

Catherine is an ambitious twenty-something woman living in Rock Hill, South Carolina where she attends Winthrop University as a mass communication major. She is the President and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Winthrop, which she co-founded in November 2014. She has also been a member of the Winthrop chapter of the Association for Women in Communications, and is currently the President of the Society of Professional Journalists chapter at Winthrop. Since being involved with Her Campus, Catherine received an internship at Her Campus Media in Boston, MA. She also currently works as a Chapter Advisor for the company and writes about Grey's Anatomy each week for the site. Because of Her Campus, she has also received writing positions at many publications throughout her 3 years at Winthrop. Outside of her busy lifestyle, Catherine enjoys relaxing with her friends on the weekends and having Sex and the City marathons. She can't live without her dog, family, Cosmopolitan, friends, Starbucks, Instagram, The Bachelor, Grey's Anatomy and of course Chick-fil-A. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: @cathclowe!